BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all these fuel price costs...at what point does cost outweigh the size of the boat.

Obviously if you have some ridiculous amount of income, then it never does. i mean for the average joe. Lets throw some numbers out there.

We run a 30' Albemarle with CAT 3126 300hp diesels.

I would say on an all-day troll we burn about 140 gallons of fuel Max. Overnight and next day troll...probably 180?

Lets here some numbers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Shamrock 31 GS, twin Yanmar 315 hp, overnight GE to Lindenkohl, Spencer or Wilmington, 175 gallons, troll both sides of overnight. Obviously bigger boats, more fuel. Lets face it, fuel is going to be expensive. If you want to fish offshore it's going to cost more.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
39 venture with triple 300 verados
all day canyon trip (leave at 3am get back anywhere between 4-5pm)
burn about 250 - 300 gal depending which canyons we hit

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Since everyone has a different concept of what is "too expensive", everyone is going to have a completly different answer to this... like Back to Reelity.. we run triple 275 Verados and burn about 1.1 per....

I will say one thing I am sure we can all agree on .... with all the higher costs involved, the value of good destination information is going to be at an all time high.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
33 blackfin

3208s from the shore house in chadwick islandto the spenser 300 gallons

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
and home:D :D :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I run a little fast but my 36 Jersey Cape will burn about 350 gals on a troll trip to the Hudson Canyon area out of Manasquan inlet.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
About 130 gallons gas on overnighter canyon trip about 26knts both ways. This includs trolling in the morning. Money does matter and I am $$$ conscious. However, with a little boat the trips are already limited. Last year we missed one decent weather window. I think like 20 trips in total 10 or so being over nighters. Something like 47 for 50 something on the tuna fish. I don't gauge my time at the edge by the way the general public is doing. I hope to run as much as I did last year but that is crew dependant as over nighters I do not do alone. However, in the end for what we have spent in our toys the extra few hundred dollars for fuel, although stings, is not a deal breaker for me and us. Atleast I hope, again it is crew dependant... Having said that we will be looking for a third for more trips this year... Also, if the day job slows I will charter more

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
28 Albemarle 240hp peninsulars... 20 gallons day troll local. Sword run jacks it up to about 40...:D

The Contender burns about 25 gph at 32 knots...:)

The Viking burns 128gph at 31.5 knots... :eek:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I just want to know what you guys do for a living to be able to afford those kinds of numbers. $1000.00 or more per trip? Bear you spent over 6K on fuel just on canyon runs? Holy crap fellas !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
14 gph in my 26 center console running 28 knots
single 454 crusader with i/o

26 gph running 22 knots in my 31 Bertram
twin 454 mercs

·
Registered
786 Posts
Absecon_bass said:
I just want to know what you guys do for a living to be able to afford those kinds of numbers. $1000.00 or more per trip? Bear you spent over 6K on fuel just on canyon runs? Holy crap fellas !!!
I hear you... what the @#$#$. I thought the economy was bad... where do you get that kind of money to burn up. I used to do about 20 canyon trips a year... we ran gas boats and gas was about $1.19 a gal. split between 6 guys. Wow I'm glad I got it out of my system years ago. If I still had the fever I'd make sure I'd be closer than 50 miles to the fish.

·
Registered
717 Posts
offshoreone said:
Get Reel, I work on a 81' SeaForce and we burn 150 at 2050 at 27kts, are those reel numbers for a Spencer? What power and how many turns?
what do you have for power cat acert 1850s?:confused:

1 - 20 of 266 Posts