BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out of Captains Cove marina on Thursday morning with Capt. Lou of Stripermania. The weather was perfect and the ocean was calm. We went south out of the bay and started looking for bunker. No bunker south so we went back north. We found a small pod but only blues were under them. We went back down south again with no luck.We ran back up to the bay and found the bunker boats in the channel at the mouth of the bay.They were trying to drive the bunker schools out of the channel so they could net them in the shallower water. We got about 20 yards from a bunker boat and the mate Matt got up front and threw the net. When he brought it back it was full. There must have been fifty bunker in the net. Then as Lou and him were clearing the net Matt looks up just in time to see the captain of another boat on the back of his boat trying to throw the net. Just as he was ready to throw the net he goes over board into the channel. Lou guns the boat over there and tries to throw him a float but by this time he had made it back to his boat and was trying to climb back in on the outboard while it was still running. He was able to get back in the boat and he was OK. It was pretty hairy there for a while with all the bigger boats blowing thru the channel. We found out later that he didn't have a mate and the customer was handling the boat while he was throwing the net and apparently the cust gave a little too much throttle and he went in. Well he lost his net and was pretty shaken up but he was OK. We headed back out front and found some birds working and drifted some baits.We were all hooked up within 10 minutes and had three bass in the boat.We picked up another later on and ended up with four.It was all big blues and sand sharks after that which we didn't mind at all because we had some bass in the cooler. I love fighting them big blues.Watching them tailwalk and jump out of the water is a blast. The water temp was 61 out front and 71 in the bay. After lisening to the radio talk we were one of the few boats to get any stripers but we worked for them.The bassin seems to be winding down now and the blues seem to have moved in. The crew of Stripermania are top notch. I highly recomend them and will definitly be booking them again. One neat thing we did see a hugh pod of Dolfins and they swam under the boat. One jumped clear out of the air with a blue in its mouth. What a treat that was. They are alot bigger when you see them up close.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Capt Lou & Mate Matt are by far the best combo in that area when it comes to catching Quality Bass.2 of my trips this year were great with him.I have another trip booked for tomorrow morning.Will post a report once I get back in.

Art

1 - 2 of 2 Posts