BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone ever went fishing for Atlantic Salmon in Canada. I leave next Thursday for a combo Bear hunt / Atlantic Salmon trip in the Gaspe Peninsula in Canada. Will be fishing the Restigouche River (actually a private river) where according to someone who has been there "you will get tired of catching ten pounders" as these fish are apparently common in the 20 pound range with some going in the 40 pound range. It's fly fishing only...actually they all use Spey Rods which hopefully won't be too much of a challenge. Also there supposed to be an abundant supply of sea-run brook trout that you get as a "bycatch" while fishing for the salmon. If anyone ever went for these fish please let me know how you made out.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
I will be hitting the Kenai river in Soldotna Alaska in July. This will be my fifth year in a row. If you want to catch salmon(king or sockeye)then go to alaska at least once. Plus halibut and trophy rainbows.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Only time I fished for Atlantics was in a lake in way upstate NY in the rain, and I didn't catch anything. Never fished Canada. I've heard Atlantics are tough to catch.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Tom,
That Sounds Like A Really Great Trip....
You Should Have A Blast......
Best of Luck To You.....

By The Way -You Heading Down to CM Pt.soon to put
a Hurting on those Trout Again when you get back?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve, thanks! There is a chance that I might be heading down there this weekend....depends if the wife lets me get away since I will be gone for 9 days next week. If you have been down there this year drop me an email and let me know how you did. I monitor that DBay water temp pretty closely and I usually do best on the big uns when the temp is between 57 & 60 degrees.
When I get back from Canada I plan on doing an all-nighter down there with one or two other Barners so if you are interested then let me know. Last year for about four or five hours it was non-stop action on 1-3 pounders with a few small stripers mixed in and there wasn't another fisherman in sight.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Tom, I wish the best on salmon bear hunt...I have been keeping tabs on the weakies so give me a shout when you get back. Bring a digital camera with you. You will catch a ton of fish worth saving in a photo album. Field and Stream this saturday.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gaspe Peninsula is a beautiful area, I snowmobile this area every year! Never been fishing here but wish you luck it sounds like its going to be one heck of a trip!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tom,

Good Luck on the combo hunt, please post your results! I did a combo fish/hunt in Idaho last year and had a blast. Took a 6X6 elk with a bow and enough trout to choke a horse. By the way how did you swing a 9 day trip in a week?

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts