BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Many years ago when we used shooting heads, we used fly line loops, tapered with pliobond so it would go through guides better (didn't work very well) & loop in running line. As I stated awhile ago, we all stopped using them due to not liking the feel of the running line. They really did cast well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by sparse grey:
Many years ago when we used shooting heads, we used fly line loops, tapered with pliobond so it would go through guides better (didn't work very well) & loop in running line. As I stated awhile ago, we all stopped using them due to not liking the feel of the running line. They really did cast well.
i used to use mono with an albright knot that worked pretty well.the mono running line was hard to grip &would slip resulting in a knotted mess.coming out of a stripping basket on the beach was a real pain.i went to full lines years ago cause i'd rather fish than deal with the frustration.i'm going to give HEADS another shot this year.cortland & rio market running lines i'll try again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you use a coated running line, whip a loop in the running line to do the loop to loop connection. If you use mono for the running line (25lb test Berkeley Big Game is a good one) tie a bimini twist and then a double surgeon loop in the bimini loop to give you 4 strands of mono to do the loop to loop.
If you can learn to do a whipped loop in your line, you will have the most practical connection. Get a copy of Lefty Kreh's knot book to learn how. Otherwise, do as Brian suggested and use the Teeny line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts