BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe, I sent you an email concerning my one lower unit. Let me know what you think. The oil was light green at first (Milky?) then came out clearer as it drained down. Can the oil be tested for water? How much to re-seal an Evinrude 2001 225? Any special procedure to drop the lower unit? My Mercrusier needed to be in forward gear? I put the oil in a jug and it sat for a few hours and its doesn't appear to be separating, it looks normal. Thanks

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Never - Satisfied said:
Joe, I sent you an email concerning my one lower unit. Let me know what you think. The oil was light green at first (Milky?) then came out clearer as it drained down. Can the oil be tested for water? How much to re-seal an Evinrude 2001 225? Any special procedure to drop the lower unit? My Mercrusier needed to be in forward gear? I put the oil in a jug and it sat for a few hours and its doesn't appear to be separating, it looks normal. Thanks
Harry, are you just changing gearlube now?? That light green sounds like lube oil I've seen from just changing lube oil on high humidy days settling out. If it's been sitting all winter and doesn't run out like water it's not a big deal.

But...............as you've heard me say I don't trust gearcases any farther than I can throw one.. If BB says lets reseal the gearcase don't argue, although it would surprise me if those Magnum gearcases were leaking. Remember those 01's were updated with the 02-on gearcases.. Let BB pressure/vacuum test them.. They will refill with the Etec gear lube.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunk,

It did not run out like water, it was thick but a lighter green, maybe a little pasty. I know I should have changed the oil as part of my winterzation process but I missed gearoil lube on my list when I got stuff from BB. Anyway I did take out each plug and let a little seep and and didn't see a problem before I put the boat away for winter. The jug of oil that I removed sat overnight and I don't see any separation or discolorment. I even had it in the house thinking the 70 degree temp would help separate it if the oil did have water in it, make sense?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Chances are your ok. The old gearlube probley just settled out during the winters months. Did you run the outboads before you drained the gear lube? TO remove the gearcase the is a shift pin that sits under the air intakes. You can access it on the side the starter sits on. Its a 3/8. We remove the port side lower pan while doing this. It makes it so much easyer. Call me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, if there was water in the oil it would eventually separate correct?
I just took a peak at the jug that I drained and there is no separation.
I did not run the motors before I drained the lower units, should have I?
If I did I would beat I would have seen little or no difference from the other motor. What is strange the other motor looked fine but that did have a new lower unit last year so I know it had fresh oil. I made the dealer install a magnum gearcase to match the other engine. Maybe the dealer newer put in new oil in that gearcase and it was old? I will take the old oil home with me and see if if does separate. If it does then I will be taking off the lower unit for you to pressure test. Thanks Joe.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil and Water Doesn't Mix

Well the oil sat for a few days, no separation, no discolorment. I poured some into a glass jar and added water to it. Stirred the mixture up and had water on the bottom and oil on top within a minute. I then vigoursly shook the jar and the mixture did mix together and turn the color of the oil lighter. I waited 15 mins and the mixture had separated again. Now I feel confident I didn't have a water issue.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barnaclebillsmarine said:
If it was filled with BRP's gearlube it will hold a % of water in suspension.
Joe, are you saying my test may not be valid? When I added just a little bit of water it separated right of way. Wouldn't I see some water settle to the bottom from the oil I drained if indeed it had water contamination? Thanks Again.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
By just adding water to the oil it is not getting mixed up like it is in the gearcase while the engine is running. As for the water to settle if its a small amount it may not. Is this the counter or the standard rotation engine? Oil will always look funkey that comes out of the counter gearcase.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Joe, its the port engine which is the counter rotation one, correct? When I added the water I vigorusly shook the container and it did mix in but separated 15 mins later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts