BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First took the trip down to the Old Grounds. Fished the mid section for about 3 hours and got 1 Keeper and approx. 6 Throwbacks. Pathetic for a 6 man crew. Went North and hit the China Wreck and caught a 5 inch Sea Bass. That was the total catch for 5 guys fishing.[I stayed on the wheel and kept the boat on the wreck.]Then went over with the Party Boats at McCries and caught one more Keeper and approx. 12 Throwbacks. Not sure on next week since this has to my worse days in years.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I just quickly looked through the underwater videos that I took while at the Old Grounds and McCries. In about 60 minutes worth of video, there was only about 4 flounders in there. I did not video the whole trip but that is what I did get. There were more skates in the video then there were flounder. I also got a squid attacking my bucktail, and changing color while there.
At the old grounds we were fishing on flat bottom with no structure at all, and sandy bottom. McCries was flat bottom covered with pebbles.
You forgot to mention the mutant keeper flounder that Dave caught.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I will post videos up on my youtube channel after I put them together. But that might take a while because I will be pretty busy this week, and there is a lot of editing to do.
The mutant flounder was black on top and bottom. No white at all.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Thanks for report. Did a last minute solo trip leaving at 9am.
Hit mccries 3 shorts. Went to fa area skates ended up at cmr 2 shorts. 35 miles 5 shorts

·
Registered
16,217 Posts
At least you guys are making me feel better about our boat in CM being down for the past few weeks. Hope to get the repairs done this weekend, if not oh well. Thinking about buying a motorcycle and taking up golf... and just keeping my 19 ft CC of course, can't give up completely it's in my blood...

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Its getting close to that Gman-No fall striper fishing Limited seabass fishing and now fluke being off.

Im pulling boat mid sept-getting bottom cleaned then on hard and will decide it I put it back in in Nov but doubt it
4 weddings this fall plus a Montauk trip in sept wont use the boat till Mid Nov

Might as well juts open boat and party boat fish

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just quickly looked through the underwater videos that I took while at the Old Grounds and McCries. In about 60 minutes worth of video, there was only about 4 flounders in there. I did not video the whole trip but that is what I did get. There were more skates in the video then there were flounder. I also got a squid attacking my bucktail, and changing color while there.
At the old grounds we were fishing on flat bottom with no structure at all, and sandy bottom. McCries was flat bottom covered with pebbles.
You forgot to mention the mutant keeper flounder that Dave caught.
Please post to this thread and let us know when that video is ready to view. It seems like the New Jersey/Delaware area has Skates everywhere. What I have noticed is that the more boats that there are fishing a area, the more skates you catch. Believe that when you have large amounts of baits in the water and baits being lost on the bottom, this is like a Dinner Bell.

Will take special note on your video with that Squid attacking you jig. As always, its a pleasure having a fisherman of your skill set come aboard.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its getting close to that Gman-No fall striper fishing Limited seabass fishing and now fluke being off.

Im pulling boat mid sept-getting bottom cleaned then on hard and will decide it I put it back in in Nov but doubt it
4 weddings this fall plus a Montauk trip in sept wont use the boat till Mid Nov

Might as well juts open boat and party boat fish
Or send me a PM and jump aboard.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Please post to this thread and let us know when that video is ready to view. It seems like the New Jersey/Delaware area has Skates everywhere. What I have noticed is that the more boats that there are fishing a area, the more skates you catch. Believe that when you have large amounts of baits in the water and baits being lost on the bottom, this is like a Dinner Bell.

Will take special note on your video with that Squid attacking you jig. As always, its a pleasure having a fisherman of your skill set come aboard.
I will start another thread when I get the next videos done. I don't know if I can get them done this week. I have homework to do, and I have to get ready for this weekend overnighter. First attempt at deep dropping for swords. Hope to get video from that too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hit the OG's Saturday and had 6 nice keepers. Mid morning the tide switched and there was no drift after that so the fishing just shut down. If the conditions are right there are good fish to be caught there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts