BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... HS Vector 2800, twin 250 hpdi's with 2 rams.

Don't want to skimp, but don't want to break the bank either.

Which one... why.. and how much do you think for unit and install?

·
Registered
583 Posts
have used Simrad on a twin OB set up in the past, worked fine... really just used it to track straight while trolling.

currently looking at the Simrad AP 24... i believe that is the update to the Simrad AP 25... the AP 28 is the update to the AP 26. AP 28 has a larger screen and takes up more space. has a couple of features i think are really more useful on sailboats. wanted a small screen that did not take up much space so will probably go with the AP 24.

other i was considering was the TR-1 which they say is the best, but Nautimatic or whatever was just purchased by Garmin. The Garmin TR-1 will have a display screen ( which I am told not really needed) but will not be out until 3rd quarter 2008. kinda wanted the TR-1 cause it had this virtual anchor feature where you could just hover, like over a wreck, cause i hate throwing the anchor out. but oh well. supposedly if you have a garmin chartplotter you can interface the two and just point on your chartplotter where you want to go and the AP will pick that up.

both have trolling patterns, i have never used this feature.

oh, i think $5k to $6 for equipment plus install is a little high... maybe closer to $4 for everything...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
oh, i think $5k to $6 for equipment plus install is a little high... maybe closer to $4 for everything...[/quote]

The simrad AP25 with the rudder feedback for the outboard is $3700 for the equipment. So if you can find an electronics place that will do this install(probably 16 hrs) for $300 i'll kiss your feet.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
583 Posts
BigSexy said:
oh, i think $5k to $6 for equipment plus install is a little high... maybe closer to $4 for everything...

The simrad AP25 with the rudder feedback for the outboard is $3700 for the equipment. So if you can find an electronics place that will do this install(probably 16 hrs) for $300 i'll kiss your feet.:rolleyes:

alright, get ready to kneel, what colour should i paint my toenails for you? and ya want that with or without cheese :D

the AP25/28 probably is around that much for the whole package.. i was looking more at the 24/26 package which i think runs around $3300... and i believe this is with a virtual rudder...

so i said closer to 4... meaning maybe 4.2... but i don't think 5 or 6..

if you just want something to keep you straight, the ap16 is probably more than enough.... or use what my buddy does.. bungee cords on the steering wheel :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Sturgeon General said:
alright, get ready to kneel, what colour should i paint my toenails for you? and ya want that with or without cheese :D

the AP25/28 probably is around that much for the whole package.. i was looking more at the 24/26 package which i think runs around $3300... and i believe this is with a virtual rudder...

so i said closer to 4... meaning maybe 4.2... but i don't think 5 or 6..

if you just want something to keep you straight, the ap16 is probably more than enough.... or use what my buddy does.. bungee cords on the steering wheel :)
clean em and I like sea foam green:D . But I called my buddy with the AP25, he paid $5000 and change. Open center Console with twin 250's.

AP25 package from consumer Marine $3365.00 16 hrs install time at $90 an hour adds $1440. plus tax, equals....................$5093.00 hence $5000 to $6000 I quoted for an AP25:cool:

Now, let's go cheaper. AP28 saves you like $150 and the AP24 is like $300 cheaper.

If your equipment package is $3300 ad close to $1500 for the install.....$4800

So lets comprimise and say......$4500 to $5500:D :D :D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I just talked to a buddy in sales and installs. AP26 is the way to go according to him, smaller unit. I was wrong by saying the AP25:eek: :( .

His best off the cuff quoate was at least $5000 for full install on twin motors. Friend prices could get you under $5000:D

·
Registered
837 Posts
pilot for larger twin outboards-$$3300-$$3700
hyd kit custom built $300-$400
install/sea trial $-1300-$1500
total---$$4900-$$5600

Having your vessell properly piloted for over 80nm each way and saving a S%#t ton of fuel---PRICELESS

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And now a word from our sponsor ;)

Either of you guys price the bungee cords :rolleyes: :D

I know there was nothing wrong with the old TR-1 and since I am all Furuno a new unit designed to interface with garmin isn't going to do me alot of good... maybe a clearence sale.

Primary practical applications for me is going to be trolling straight (following a bottom contour would be nice but I have lived without it forever so I won't miss it), and long runs to the happy fishing grounds at high speeds without constant personal wheel adjustments to hit the mark.

I do alot of solo trolling as well so slow, straight tracking while I am clearing and fighting in a couple foot seas is clearly a big advantage...

thanks for the info so far guys.... cue the Ring girl..

Round Two... ding ding!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Simrad

Ed,

I have a Simrad AP 2103. It is hooked to my Furunu Navnet. I also have a JP21 remote control head that lets me steer from a handheld if I'm not at the helm. For one man operation it's really nice. It does more things than I need it to do. Most of the time I just use the basic function of keeping the boat on a straight course.

I have had it for 5 years and operation has been flawless.

Can't tell you exact price since it was part of a package.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The S 1000 is made for a single outboard up to 25 feet. It does a great job. I have not used it but I have spoken to folks that do. I have used the Ramarine Smartpilot for 7 years or so and it does an excellent job-no more than 12' off line on track all the way to the canyon in just about any sea, and my downeast hull is supposed to be hard to keep on track . I use the heck out of the units and they perform. About 1/2 the price of competitors units if I am not mistaken. There is a new version coming ut next monyh with trolling patterns and no ruddr feedback needed. I also used the units on a 25 Parker and a 28 Parker diesel. Check them out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts