BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this reel, I know it was discontinued in 2010, but I have a chance to pick one up for pretty cheap. Its brand new in box. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Great reels. They didn't really discontinue them. They made changes to them and called them the 30's

Some people didn't like not have a traditional strike button and the clicker system so they changed them on the 30 models

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
Bob, are you sure you're not using ECT as a guise to hide the fact you're really a 1%r? I see you on the Chapman Family of dealership's commercials all the time :p

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob what do you mean about a traditional clicker and strike? Is it different from the new 30s ?

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Clicker switch on it is kind small, you can see it in the first picture. It also shuts off automatically when you begin reeling. Some people like that feature, some don't. Most reels have a strike button you have to press to get the lever past the strike setting. The 4/0 does not. It has the same system the smaller Avet's do. You'll feel it lock into the strike setting when it hits the notch. You don't have to press any button to go past that setting. Some people like that feature some didn't.

I have several off them and love them. I do like the 30's better because of the minor changes they made but the reels perform just the same.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I got ya now. What drag does the 4/02 put out?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've got the the EXW 4/02. Seems like a solid reel, however, I've never put the screws to it. We use one for striper trolling and drag some heavy gear with it and it handles it well.
I'm told one reason they changed/disconntinued/whatever is because the reel didn't have enough torque. I haven't seen this as a issue.
The clicker is a horrorible. Does not belong on an offshore reel.
I don't know what you plan to do with it, but if you can live with said "bad" features...It might be worth your investment.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a good price 225, but the more I read it seems that most guys do an upgrade on it. I may just get the HW5/2

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had two of these reels for a long time... they have been terrific reels. We fish mostly Penn International reels in 30 and larger size, and they perform great. All the large reels we use currently are Penn.

That said, these reels are smaller, lighter and stronger than the Penn 30s we have had. Great drag, excellent freespool, very durable, etc. Have caught plenty of tuna and white marlin on them with no issues. The clicker is small and poorly designed, which as others have mentioned they fixed in the new Avet 30s. Load with 500 yards of 80 lb hollow core spectra and you can put a good sized topshot of 50 or 60 lb mono (50 lb momoi diamond would prob be ideal).

These Avet EXW 4/0's with Kevin Bogan's Calstar 40-100 lb blank custom rods have been my favorite setup for chunking tuna, trolling bluefin, etc. I just picked up another pair of the same rods this offseason and will be purchasing Avet 30s for them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John, if you had a choice of the avet 4/02 or an HX 5/2 what would you pick? or should I just get an ex30 ? I have a set of chaos offshore standup 30-50 rods that they will be matched with

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks John, if you had a choice of the avet 4/02 or an HX 5/2 what would you pick? or should I just get an ex30 ? I have a set of chaos offshore standup 30-50 rods that they will be matched with
Hi joeytooch, I have not used the HX series so I can't speak to it from experience. What I look at for these kinds of questions is what are you going to use it for and how? What is the specific application? What kind of fish and what size will you be targeting? From there you can make the best decision on what to get.

I know that with a 30-50 lb rod blank, depending on the length, you may be fighting bigger fish from your hands or the handle of the rod more. In a smaller rod like that, perhaps the HX or even the LX/JX makes sense. I don't know the exact rod you have but that is my initial thought.

I am sure the HX is a really nice reel, but for us it is kind of between sizes for the applications we have in NJ. For either jigging tuna or for bottom fishing, or fighting bass, bluefish or other species in that size range, we would use smaller size avets (MXL through LX sizes). For trolling tuna and related species or bait fishing for tuna, it would be the EXW 30 size and up. The EXW 4/02's I have are basically the same size and capability of the 30's, and that is how they are used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts