BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering which one is a better reel?!?!

Seems like the avet holds close to the same amount of line.. but maybe more in the 665nn but with the drag settings on the avet at 15strike and 20 full i think it would be sufficient for 200 dollar less.

Any ideas guys?!?!

20 FULL!! MY BAD GUYS!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Avet

Just bought avet lx6 for jigging tuna at somerset saltwater fishing expo. Recommended by avet rep, L&H and tackledirect based upon price. It has 25 lbs full drag. & will hold 400 yds 80lb braid. It also comes in 2 spd if you want to spend another $120. Avet rep said single is good for tuna jigging with lx6 but you should have 2spd with lx4. Single speed lx6 was $220 and 2spd was $340 at show.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paul708 said:
why nn?..accurate all the way between those 2. for tuna i would want the accurate with lower gearing ..
i would like to check it out on a new rod but UMMMMMMMMMM someone isnt posting pics of it yet! lol

HAHAH

GOOD LOOKING OUT GUYS!

Paul order me one. lol :)

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Capital Gain said:
Just bought avet lx6 for jigging tuna at somerset saltwater fishing expo. Recommended by avet rep, L&H and tackledirect based upon price. It has 25 lbs full drag. & will hold 400 yds 80lb braid. It also comes in 2 spd if you want to spend another $120. Avet rep said single is good for tuna jigging with lx6 but you should have 2spd with lx4. Single speed lx6 was $220 and 2spd was $340 at show.
i am not being smart..just curious...but at 25# of drag is it hard to turn handle?

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Hoo-X is a great jigging reel, but you probably will only get about 20-22lbs of drag at strike and maybe 15-16 with an LX. Both offer more than enough drag for most of the fish we catch in the northeast and this is honestly as much as most angler can handle anyway. Built in harness lugs on the hoo-x also shouldn't be overlooked in case you hook a big one.

The accurate 665 is an awesome reel that is the king of its class in terms of drag and smoothness. When you fish this reel you will know you are fishing with a superior piece of machinery. However, I do not believe it is worth an additional $200 more than the Hoo-X. Also, it does not come with harness lugs, so if you do hook a big one at 25lbs of drag at strike, you may be in trouble. If you use the rail you're probably fine. You can buy an awkward harness lug add on that accurate sells, but it feels wierd when casting.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks tuna!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
avet

i bought the jx loaded with 450yds. of 65 PP. they say 15 at strike 20 at full but truthfully i don't think i'll tuna fish with it (who am i kiddin') @ $240 i was able to buy a trevalla (sorry JPR) and not even come close to spending as much as an Accurate alone. if price is not an potion go with the Accurate

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was waiting to hear from the blake master on this one!

KNEW IT WAS COMING!! :D :rolleyes::p ;) :eek:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Avet Reel

paul708 said:
i am not being smart..just curious...but at 25# of drag is it hard to turn handle?
I'll let you know when I get rod and reel later this week. I mail ordered from tackle direct. I won't keep it at 25 lbs when fishing but it is suppose to spin free even at full drag due to precision machining of stainless gears. Maybe this was a sales pitch but I got recommendations on this reel from several vendors.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
rugster

fishy said:
i bought the jx loaded with 450yds. of 65 PP. they say 15 at strike 20 at full but truthfully i don't think i'll tuna fish with it (who am i kiddin') @ $240 i was able to buy a trevalla (sorry JPR) and not even come close to spending as much as an Accurate alone. if price is not an potion go with the Accurate
doesnt georgey boy have an accurate? would never know it, i guess he hangs it on the tree as a christmas orniment? Hows he doing fish, let him know I was asking about him.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like the Avets for jigging (for the money), I got the Hoo's last year and they worked great on 80-100lb Tuna very smooth. So this year I down sized to the LX's and can't wait to use them!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have an Avet Lx on a jigging set up. I whipped a few nice yellowfin last year with it. One was around 90# to 100#. Plenty of drag with 65 power pro. Georgie is doing fine, how's McRib doing?

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Ii have a 665 on my jigging rod and the drag is smoother than owl sh*t.

As far a #'s of drag, I don't know who uses the top end of the drag capacity of a reel.. I never have unless I am 25' from being totally spooled, but remember... when the spool is half out the drag is doubled. When you are about to be spooled, the drag is doubled again... if you are hanging on to or are harnessed to it ( and the line does not break) someone better be hanging on to the back of your belt with both hands...

Anyway... big 665 fan....

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
TRAVELER SPORTFISHING said:
Georgie is doing fine, how's McRib doing?
McRib is hanging in, we got the bottom of butch's boy'z painted, and they are going to put the zincs on and wax this friday, we're going in the 28th...stripers are being caught

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just bought the accurate 665 2 speed yesterday. What a beautiful engineered machine. From pictures it was hard to see why you would spend the xtra $200. Once you pick up both and put them next to each other you can see the difference in quality. I didnt see much difference between the accurate and the more expensive shimano. Looks like Penn is getting blown away by these competitors.....

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
bluewater mike said:
From pictures it was hard to see why you would spend the xtra $200. Once you pick up both and put them next to each other you can see the difference in quality. I didnt see much difference between the accurate and the more expensive shimano. Looks like Penn is getting blown away by these competitors.....
yeah it seems that way with the penn stuff....and its the same when you compare some HARDCORE JIGGING rods together ;) just look at kils pics, and the rods used there,:D travela what:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts