BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first two Avet reels... a pair of silver MXLs to match up with a set of Shimano Trevala rods. I was pretty pumped up over the purchase till I was throwing some braid on them last night. I notice that the reel was wobbling on the rod as I was winding the line on. I tightened up the reel seat a few time but the reel continued to wobble.

Frustrated, I took the reel off only to notice that 5 of the 6 screws that hold the backing plate to the reel were missing!!! I purchased the reel from a local tackle shop here in New Jersey. They were pretty socked and said they would try to get me another reel or some screws, but they didn't have anything in stock. Problem is I'm heading down to Florida next week and need the reels to go with me.

I thought I'd reach out to you guys to see if you knew where I could get a set of screws for the MXL quickly? I'm sure my local guys will come through eventually, but I don't think they will do it in time for the trip.

Any ideas?

That's pretty bad QA/QC if it came from Avet that way!?!? I'm hoping there's a good explaination.

MSax

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
MSaxatilus said:
I recently purchased my first two Avet reels... a pair of silver MXLs to match up with a set of Shimano Trevala rods. I was pretty pumped up over the purchase till I was throwing some braid on them last night. I notice that the reel was wobbling on the rod as I was winding the line on. I tightened up the reel seat a few time but the reel continued to wobble.

Frustrated, I took the reel off only to notice that 5 of the 6 screws that hold the backing plate to the reel were missing!!! I purchased the reel from a local tackle shop here in New Jersey. They were pretty socked and said they would try to get me another reel or some screws, but they didn't have anything in stock. Problem is I'm heading down to Florida next week and need the reels to go with me.

I thought I'd reach out to you guys to see if you knew where I could get a set of screws for the MXL quickly? I'm sure my local guys will come through eventually, but I don't think they will do it in time for the trip.

Any ideas?

That's pretty bad QA/QC if it came from Avet that way!?!? I'm hoping there's a good explaination.

MSax
Call George at G & B fishing right away.

732 381-5900

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys!

Well I called Avet per your recommendations and they are going to send me out a complete set of screws for that backing plate... supposedly before I leave for the trip.

I might be winding line on the airplane, but at least they stood behind their product. By the way, they were also VERY surprised that the reel wound up in my hands with 5 screws missing.

I'll update you guys when the screws get here.

Thanks again,
MSax

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
MSaxatilus said:
Thanks for the tips guys!

Well I called Avet per your recommendations and they are going to send me out a complete set of screws for that backing plate... supposedly before I leave for the trip.

I might be winding line on the airplane, but at least they stood behind their product. By the way, they were also VERY surprised that the reel wound up in my hands with 5 screws missing.

I'll update you guys when the screws get here.

Thanks again,
MSax
They are the best reels that I've ever used! That's why we use them on Charters!;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They are the best reels that I've ever used! That's why we use them on Charters!;)
Honestly, I've never used one, nor do I know anyone that uses them. So I'm kindof acting as the guinnie pig for our little group of fishing feinds.

I hope they are as good as they say. Seem pretty tough in my basement.... well the one that came with all of its parts that is. :D

MSax

·
Registered
120 Posts
MSaxatilus said:
Honestly, I've never used one, nor do I know anyone that uses them. So I'm kindof acting as the guinnie pig for our little group of fishing feinds.

I hope they are as good as they say. Seem pretty tough in my basement.... well the one that came with all of its parts that is. :D

MSax
Bought a couple last year. Don't like my old reels anymore!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts