BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buying my dad a new reel for his birthday next week.He likes Abu's so I was thinking about the Abu Record but then I thought for an extra $30-50 I can buy an Avet.The only problem the local tackle shop doesnt carry them and I didnt want to drive to Jersey just to check them out.I am thinking about the SX and MX reels.

Does anyone now where I can check out Avet reels in person in the Philly area?If I really have to I guess I will have to travel,so please post anyone who stocks these reels,Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Harry's in Robbinsville NJ has them. That shouldn't be too far.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Cabelas has some...I have the Abu Blue Yonder and Avet Sx...LOVE the Sx. Thinking about getting the MJX down the road for more inshore stripers and light tuna work. I use the Sx on the surf, jetties, and boat for stripers. It is head and shoulders above the Abu.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.

AJ ,thanks for the heads up on Cabelas!! I have a coupon for $20 off $150 or more of an in store purchase.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gone fishin...did you buy it from the store or through the mail?The only reason I want to see em in person is that I heard thet the SX is a very small reel and I might want to get the MX just for a more all purpose reel

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I tried to buy online and calling...they didn't have them anymore. I was in the Allentown area and went to the store. Got the last of the silver models left. The Sx is small in size but holds a ton of line and the drag is amazing. What are you using it for? I actually love the size...if you plan to cast you will want to mag it...very easy to do.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mainly bottom fishing for fluke,sea bass,tog,drum and striper.Thats why I was thinking Id go with the MX for more drag and line cap. to handle a 50lb bass we will get this fall:DAlso if we ever run it some bluefin that we could pitch somethig at it might be able to bring them to the boat.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
glennexit13 said:
An SX full of 50 pound braid covers a wide variety of bases.
Yeah your right, but maxing the drag out that little reel with bigger fish like stripers,drum,and schoolie bluefin might wear it out faster than the MX

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am pretty sure Harry at Sport Fishing Outlet on Germantown Pk. in E. Norriton has a few in his showcase.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I can confidently tell you that the Sx will handle anything you throw at it. I believe they have the exact same drags. The MX just has a bigger spool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts