BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a avet ho-x for jigging in the northeast for tuna..Having a jigging rod built by jb tackle.. I like the avet but heard some bad news about customer service..Anybody have this reel and would like some input..Also considering the accurate reels..

·
Registered
534 Posts
AVET customer service is nothing short of excellent. I haven't had any problems with my HOO-X, but a few years back I blew up an AVET-LX, a penn 12S and an accurate 665 on a rediculous bluefin bite where we caught and released approximately 70 fish between 40 and 100lbs all on jigs.

I called all of the manufacturers about fixing the reels. Here is what happened:

- AVET told me to send them the reel and they would have it back to me within a week at no additional cost to me outside of the original ups charge. I mailed the reel out on a Monday and had it back within seven days.

- ACCURATE told me they wouldn't have time to fix my reel for at least four weeks. They were very nice and they referred me to a local customer service shop, which took about three weeks to repair the reel and they charged me parts and service.

- PENN - I could not get a hold of anyone that could help me at PENN. THis reel is still broken and probably will be decomissioned.

If you have any issues regarding customer service at AVET, I recommend giving them a call in advance. They whould take your call and be willing to discuss the issue with you in advance of your purchase. My experience is that they are very willing to work with customers

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
We rarely have anyone who needs their customer service but we've never heard any complaints from those who have.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
a buddy of mine had an issue with his avet and they had it fixed and returned i belive within a week...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought a LX 6.0/1. for exactly that purpose. I whipped 3 80# yfts last year and the drag was perfect. In the fall, I took it mackeral fishing and the the drag wouldnt work. I sent it back and they fixed it. I hope it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have an sx and a new lx....I have heard all possitive feedback....but, I had a problem with the drag too...on a real cold day toggin with my sx, after I played with it a few times it warmed up and was the best real I ever used. I found a post after that and read about similar problems....I contacted customer service and they told me they conducted a study (they put them in the freezer)and found that the older models had a problem under extremely cold conditions, they were very helpful and thanked me for the report....also said that I could send the reel in for them to check it out. I was told that the newer models have not had a problem....not sure what they did to correct it. Again, that is a cold weather fishing problem. I've taken the sx out since on other cold trips and had no problem...I kept it in the house instead of the garage:D.

·
Registered
451 Posts
go for the accurate 665 2 speed. They are sweet reels both little tanks.

You are going to love the JB customs those are the only rods i use for offshore great rods. Last month i just got a new jigging rod for tuna for my 16vsx it is sweet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blake what marine are you docked at..I fish on the 44 jarrett bay express out of saybrook point..INDEPENDENCE

·
Registered
451 Posts
sharkin

My home port is Branford, CT Pine Orchard yacht and country club. We have a 32luhrs Open Ftroop,and if i am not running my boat i am running on a 40 Ocean express the Mountaineer.

I remember seeing that 44 Jarret bay some where do you guys run in JBs touneys?? the Tri state.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a bearing seize up on my SX. I was referred to call a repair shop for the part, as I could replace it myself. Very friendly service and I had the part 2 days after phone call. Popped the bearing in, and as good as new.
My mishap also occured in the cold while Black Fishing. Maybe it's the same problem that Irish Jig had with his. Other then that I have the SX and an LX. Very smooth, powerful reels. I will be adding more of there line to my collection :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for info I will be going with a avet ..Blake we will be fishing the tri-state again this year stop by and have a beer or two..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hey guys and gals...We are now Avet dealers. We are going to be setting up some sweet deals on Custom Bulls Eye Rods and Avet reel combos. Let us know if anyone is interested and we will price it out for you.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Bulls Eye Fishing Rods said:
Hey guys and gals...We are now Avet dealers. We are going to be setting up some sweet deals on Custom Bulls Eye Rods and Avet reel combos. Let us know if anyone is interested and we will price it out for you.
Glad to see you joined the force! They make a great product!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts