BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an Avid SX reel and was wondering if I should go with 30 or 50 lb power pro? I'll mainly be using it for deep water fluking at the old grounds (70%), however, I'll probably also use it for stripers (25%) and tog (5%). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You don't really need 30-50 lb braid.
Powerpro is so stronger even 10lb is good for fluking. I got 10lb pp on a penn 965 deepwater fluking rod and it works great. I never go above 20lb pp for jigging bass/ blues/ fishing tog or fluke.

·
Registered
124 Posts
whats the point of 50 or 65 lb braid for a reel w/ 9lbs max drag at strike?

30 is all you need.
The new SX raptors can get 25#'s of drag, and i fish my old SX at close to 15#'s sometimes. If you are fishing for fish where thin line is not a big concern why not have that extra cushion instead of maxing out your knots? I agree that when fishing deep water fluke 20 or 30# would be the way to go though.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I have 50 lb PP on mine because I think it is easier for me to tie. I have a hard enough time tieing since losing the fingers. I need all the help I can get.:D I have 300yds on my Avet SX.

In reality 20 lb would be fine bc an Avet SX has 14lbs of drag max. If I had to guess my reels are set at 6lbs for Striper and Drum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
30 vs 50

I just got the same Reel at X-Mas. I put 30Lb of Andi to cover the arbor, back to back uni-knot to 300yrds of 50Lb Power Pro which filled the spool. I also like a 6 or 8ft shock leader of lighter mono on top. It's easier to tie knots and when you get snaged at the OG. you can brake it off.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
I just got the same Reel at X-Mas. I put 30Lb of Andi to cover the arbor, back to back uni-knot to 300yrds of 50Lb Power Pro which filled the spool. I also like a 6 or 8ft shock leader of lighter mono on top. It's easier to tie knots and when you get snaged at the OG. you can brake it off.
those aren't snags there 30lb flounder stuck on the bottom :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Mine came from the shop spun w/50 and to me its been a happy split diameter-wise between drag in the water and being thick enough not to dig into itself too badly on the spool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.