BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been hearing some complaints this last year regarding their customer service. I have a SX from 2005 that lost free spool while Toggin. I broke the reel down, cleaned, re-greased and put it back together. Still no free spool. I broke the reel down several times and checked every bearing, spacer/washer and put it back together per the schematics=No free spool. I decided to give them a call today. A guy answered (didn't get his name), and he took the time to listen to everything that I tried to find the fix. He suggested several things to look for that would cause the loss of free spool. After about a 15 minute conversation, We found that a spool bearing was frozen onto the spool shaft (from salt corrosion). I always assumed this bearing was pressed onto the shaft being it wouldn't slide off:huh:. I tapped it off with a small socket, lightly sanded the shaft and bearing, greased, assembled and everything worked perfect! This is the third time I had to use their support. The first time they mailed me a Drive Shaft Bearing that seized up for free. Second time I mailed them an LX reel because we couldn't figure what the problem was over the phone. They made a quick fix (Male Cam went bad. They also called me and asked what color Lever Arm I wanted since they were going to change it all!), Cleaned the reel, and sent it back with the bad parts in a baggy for a small fee. Well I just want to say, I love their line of reels and their customer support ROCKS! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem about a year ago with an LX6. Returned it to Avet for servicing. When it came back, it still had tight free-spool. I spoke with the technician and they finally got it fixed after a couple of trys, the key being that they tried until they got it fixed. I would say that their customer service is superb.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you cleaning your avets? I rad onhere to dunk them but I've always hose them off with low pressure water.
I hose and soap them down. I've been cleaning all my gear like that for 20+ years. When I get home I usually wipe them w/ an oiled rag. My reels stay in great condition. It can take just a tiny amount of hidden salt to create a problem.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have the Avets from SX to HX 2 spd, always great service from AVET.

Lost the reel seat clamp to my LX gold, called Avet and they shipped a new one for free.

Here's the link from Avet on how to care for their reels.
http://www.avetreels.net/FAQ_s.php#How_do_I_care_for_my_Avet_reel?

I fresh water rinse, let dry then apply a light coat of corrosion-X red can
then wipe it down.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I will tell you guys how I clean my rods and reels in the winter. I turn my outside faucets off in the winter so hosing them down is not an option soooooooo. When I get home and get my gear stored Its time for me to get my shower and I just take my rods in the shower with me.:thumbsup: Works fine I soap them down and rinse them off dry when done and keep in the house until dry. I then WD40 the reel and seat wipe down with a rag and use the rag to wipe rod and guides. Works for me.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
if you take a look at there site -they will tell you the best way to clean them is dunk them in a bucket of water a few time (drag on free spool) dry off -check it out

·
Registered
659 Posts
Their customer service has always been great. They are surely a business that will be around for many years to come based on the quality of their product, affordability compared to the clones and the customer service they provide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you take a look at there site -they will tell you the best way to clean them is dunk them in a bucket of water a few time (drag on free spool) dry off -check it out
yes, good find. It does not specifically say to do this with the reel in free spool as far as i can tell, but that would make sense given the emphasis on rinsing the inside of the reel rather than just the outside, right?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have a old JX thats in great condition. I always looses freespool. I put it in a shop and they would fix it. (tackle shop not AVET) Next time I went to use it no free spool. Been put in for service several times in a row with the same result. I emailed Avet customer service and never received a response. It seems if it looses freespool I can put it to full, back to free, full again, then freespool works. Good enough I guess.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JerseyBrian Call them instead of email, they always answered when I called. But first try cleaning the spool shaft and the inner hole of all the bearings that sit on the spool shaft. It sounds like a bearing is getting hung up on some corrosion. I used a fine grit wet-sand papper (1000-1500 grit).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought an avet sx last year from tackle direct and used like 3 times. Now when I was going to put it away for the winter I turned the hande and it sounds like a Newell now. What could this be.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have over 40 AVETS some going back to the origional SX's that were made. I literally pound the heck out of em and always end up sending a few back for service every few years. Customer service is fantastic - quick turn around great repair.

·
Registered
292 Posts
AVET a good buy

Factory service better and faster than I've ever experienced. I sent a three year old LX two spd. that I use 12 months a year fishing for sea bass to 200 lb. grouper...I had an un-smooth feel when a load was applied to the reel.
Sent it to the factory for service...got it back in 10 days with a bag of parts including 5 ss bearings, spool shaft, pinion gear, cleaned and lubed, shipped free.....total invoice $35.00....and Made in the USA

·
Registered
993 Posts
They suggest the below. I try to rinse other reels with the drag in FULL but to each their own. If you read below it seems like they want water getting inside the reel, not sure why but ok.

How do I care for my Avet reel?

Your Avet Reel is a precision machined instrument. For maximum durability, reasonable care must be given for ultimate performance of the reel. Please view these images of a reel that was NOT cared for properly, to get a better idea of why we recommend the following basic care instructions for an Avet Reel: Salty Reel Image

After each fishing trip the reel should be cleaned. Rinse the reel in fresh water to remove accumulated salt deposits. The best way to rinse an Avet reel is to submerge the reel in cool fresh water, shake it under the water for 5-6 seconds, remove and shake out the excess water. Do not let the reel soak under water, or use warm or soapy water, as you don't want to start removing lubricants. You simply want to flash rinse the saltwater from inside before it evaporates and leaves salt behind. Just rinsing the outside of the reel does nothing for the INSIDE which is the most important, where salt does the most damage. Understandably, it can be a hassle removing the reels from your rods, especially if you use them daily like the hundreds of guides and charter captains do. Many of our captains and pro staff use a simple and effective method that works very well. Taking an inexpensive tall plastic kitchen sized trash can filled with water, they dunk the butt end of each rod with the reel attached, shake it up and down for 5-6 seconds, and done! This is actually faster, and uses less water than haphazardly spraying the gear down with a hose, and it takes care of any salt inside the reel as well as outside.

Dry excess moisture from the reel and sparingly lube exposed mechanisms using your included Avet Lube, or any high quality lube designed for saltwater applications. You should use a high quality spray lubricant sprayed onto a rag to wipe down the outer surfaces of the reel to protect it and displace any moisture, and to help protect it the next time it’s used. Do not spray lubricant directly on the reel. Spray lube acts as a penetrating solvent and will dissolve and flush away the grease and lubricant vital to the working mechanisms. Also, the drag surfaces are just inside of the gap between the spool and frame on the drive side of the reel. Spraying lubricant/protectant in this area will foul the drag surfaces and will make the drag jerky. Your Avet Reel should be stored in a cool dry place. Do not store in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container, as the reel may develop condensation. Always be sure to store your reel with the lever drag in the free position to release pressure from various components of the reel. This will also allow the drag surfaces and internal parts to dry if they are wet. Periodically examine your reel for loose screws or fittings and take action if necessary. Your Avet Reel should have a full tear down clean and lube service at least once every season, more with heavy use. Click HERE for information about our Flat Rate Premium factory Maintenance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts