BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question about b.a.s.s. what there theory on not using nets to land fish? arent u doing more harm to the slime coat the way some anglers tend to grab the fish and touch them to there bodys and all and also i heard them say the weigh in was hr car ride how do u think the fish fare on that hr car ride and do they all get a hr car ride back to the body of water ?

· Registered
1,378 Posts
i have a question about b.a.s.s. what there theory on not using nets to land fish? arent u doing more harm to the slime coat the way some anglers tend to grab the fish and touch them to there bodys and all and also i heard them say the weigh in was hr car ride how do u think the fish fare on that hr car ride and do they all get a hr car ride back to the body of water ?
And pulling a nylon/microfiber net across them is any better? What's your Shamwow made of that's so absorbent? :D

I'd imagine the fish do okay on the car ride. If you've ever seen the tanks they have setup for weigh in it's extremely impressive.

· Registered
5,004 Posts
im no pro but they have been do these tournaments for yrs now and seems to me the fish fare ok because they keep on catching them yr after yr.and those tanks they put in at weigh in are treated for the fish.only problem i see is they have a long swim back to where they were caught..lol.

· Registered
306 Posts
The only reason they do not use nets is to add a little more of a challenge in landing the bass and add a bit of excitement for TV coverage.

There is no basis for or against using nets concerning the health of the fish. Which is worse, rubbing a nylon net on a bass, or yanking it in the boat and having it flop all over the nylon carpet on the boat ? Both will remove the slime coat.

BASS allowed the use of nets in their tournaments for a few years , about 10 years ago. When they did this, it took out a little of the excitement of trying to get the bass in the boat, so they went back to the no net rule.

The highway ride to the weigh in is a lot less stressful of a ride than riding in 2 footers across the lake for the fish. Remember, some of those fish were caught first thing in the morning and have been in the well for hours already. With only 1 guy to a boat, both livewells are used so the fish have plenty of water and are not too crowded.
Those livewells are full of freshly changed lake water before they pull the boats out, aerators are run on constant manual for the ride to the convention center.
Once there, they are taken out and placed in holding tanks with treated water and O2 while waiting for weigh in. They are placed into the weigh in bags and put back into the boats livewells just before the boat is pulled into the stage area of the center.

· Registered
306 Posts
I read that in this months bass mag, the differences (they say) of using a regular nylon vs a rubber or synthetic.

Curious why a weigh-in would be so far from the body of water?
These Host cities for the BASS and FLW Classics pay a $$$$$$ Fee to BASS or FLW to have the weigh ins held in their city.
The Chamber of Commerce puts up the money, in return the City has the weigh in and Classic Show at their Convention Center or Arena.
This year it was Birmingham , AL. that put up the money, so the Birmingham Convention Center was the host.

Having the Show/Weigh in downtown generates a lot of income for the local economy, Hotels, Restaurants, shops, etc all make extra money for the week the Classic is there.
Plus the City makes the money back in extra tax revenue.

Why else would BASS and FLW have held their World Championships in Pittsburgh, Pa , were bass on the Three Rivers area are few and small.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.