BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a great article in the New Jersey Angler and I?d like to try some ?Clammin? for Back Bay Bass? this weekend. I?ve been looking at the maps and have some ideas but don?t know where to find the chum and bait. Now I?m not looking for your GPS coordinates, part of the fun of fishing is searching out new spots, but any advice on where to put in and where to buy chum and bait would be greatly appreciated. I?d like to stay anywhere between Seaside heights to Cape May.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
As for bait, check with the author of the article, Fred at No Bones. He is 'Chunking' on the Barn. Also a Barn advertiser.
One thing some people forget is to have a nice bucket/ladel contraption for your clam stew.
I use a small trash can and a plastic OJ container that I cut. I can still use the handle to avoid dunking my hand into that mess!
Call or stop by to see Fred. He will tell yuo everything you need to know.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flynn-S. I just was reading another post about the back bays and got the info on ?No Bones?. Also did a map quest and got the location, it?s a 2 hr. drive for me. I?m hoping there maybe some advice north of Atlantic City to cut down on the drive, but I?ll go to where the fish are. Thanks again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
bar hopper, this is what i learned from no bones, get a tub, bucket, trash can, whatever will hold your clam bellies and a few gallons of sea water, i have a 2 qt scoop with a handle(as flynn-s stated keeps your hand out of the stew), i agitate it and it gets nice and soupy, continuosly chum this concoction, lots of juice and a few bellies, you will need to replenish the sea water to the stew when it gets low, i have had great success doing this and have a blast in the back.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You can find spots where this technique will work anywhere. Look at the article again. Note tide times. Find holes along sod banks, or find tidal creeks. Look for deeper 20' - 30'. If they are not there in 45 mins. Move on to another spot.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, great advice. Now are clam bellies something you cut off the clams or can you buy clam bellies by the quart, gallon etc. and then use whole clams as bait?

·
Registered
375 Posts
fred at no bones is the man for clam bellies, i dont know who else has them, big bags, i would guess 3-5 gallons in a bag. give him a call

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
It's tough to tell the depth without a depth finder. I think when the guys are talking about 'holes' or dropoffs' they are talking about where the bottom drops from something flat like 5' - 7' to 20' - 30'. At least that's what I was taught.

·
Registered
228 Posts
wow that's a drop!

So you start with a chart and go find it with the depthfinder?

[ 11-10-2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: skunked ]

·
Registered
430 Posts
don't need a depthfinder with fred's maps.last week i fished where i was sent by fred and i can tell you that it dropped from 3' to 15' in less than the length of the boat! also we were about 25' off the sod bank.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to agree ?Fred is truly the man?. He was nice enough to respond to my email the other day. Then when I showed up at ?No Bones? he took the time to show me some places to try and do some ?Clamin? it the back bays. Not only did he take the time to give good advice he even gave some mechanical advice when I called from the dock with a problem.

Although the fishing was slow I did watch a father and son catch a nice striper and then put him back (32?). And I caught one at 27? that would have made it back but I gut hooked it so ?? dinner was great!

Water temp was 47 to 51, depth was 20 ? 25?. Time, 1:30 min after low tide.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And - Thanks Fred and to all those who added to this thread.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I was chunking clam yesterday in back of WW. W ehad a friendly get together tourney out of No Bones on one of their skiffs. Conditions sucked b/c of wind but we fished right off a sodbank, had our first runoff right after setting up, a nice fat 35" bass. Fred will hook you up, his bellies are the best. Just rig up a few rods, throw on some belly and while you wait disperse some of the clam water and a throw a belly in every now and then. If you don't get a touch after and hour or so, move and try again. We only had that one frweight train bass but sam others popping the surface and one time a nice size bass free jumped right next to us. Go to No Bones, he'll hook you up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts