BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out behind Avalon last evening to float some clam bellies on the last of the incoming tide. We had 5 bass up to 27 1/2 inches. Just couldn't get a keeper. We also had a half dozen sharks, smooth dogs I think. They looked pregnant and the chute was red and swollen. Anyone know if they spawn in the back bays? The biggest of them was 40 inches.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Nice catch on the stripers...did the sharks have teeth?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
yes they spawn in the back just like every other big female

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Smooth doggies then....40 inches is a decent sized one, good fight even if they aren't what you are targeting.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great fight, I've been fishing 10 lb line back there and it took half my spool. The tide was rippin' too.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Originally posted by aimless:
. The tide was rippin' too.
when hasn't it been lately :rolleyes:
thanks for the report. My brother has his boat at Nob's now for the season. Gonna have to learn a few of the local "spots" soon. We ran alway down near Grassy Sound Sun.(our usual spots) in not so ideal conditions. I know we left fish to find fish
;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Way to go. I was out back of Avalon yesterday afternoon. Managed one of those huge sand sharks. Hoping it was a striper, but down deep I knewit was another sand shark. Did you see the bird play from the inlet to the 30th street bridge? They were picking up something really small. I think there was herring below, but never saw one jump like they do in the fall. Looks like rain any minute so no boat fishing today.

·
Registered
848 Posts
amless,
Stytes sound has been a breeding ground for doggies for as long as I can remember, (45) years. At night make sure you check for teeth as I have caught them back there over the years.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
STRIPED BASS WILL NOT SPAWN IN SALT WATER,FISH BEING CAUGHT READY TO SPAWN ARE ON THEIR WAY TO THE RIVERS ,TUCKAHOE,GGREAT EGG ,AND MULICA
I caught one last year full of spawn ,tagged and released only to be caught in a net in the Egg Harbor River 4 days later

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been getting nice bass mixed with big smooth dog's. I also have had trouble breaking 27.5 inches. Still a hell of a time.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
sorry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts