BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am a first time poster here, and I have really enjoyed this forum. I'm looking to put together a rod/reel/ combo for Corson's Inlet and other bay areas. I will use this combo to throw fin-s-fishes on jigheads, topwaters, andy other lures. I need to put together a combo that is light enough to cast often but still strong enough to handle decent fish. I am thinking of a 7.5 foot medium action rod with a soft tip. What size reel do you prefer? How many yards of 8-12 lb line should it be able to hold? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Mike,
Welcome aboard. I fish the backside of Corsons and the bays frequently. I primarily use a 7' medium-heavy fast action St. Croix. It is matched with a Mitchell Nautil 6500. For line, I use 20lb powerpro and a leader.

I get a decent fight with smaller fish without wearing them out too much and have enough power to take fish up to about 20 pounds without too much trouble.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mike1,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard...........

A great rod to use in the CISP area is the G.Loomis Rods like their GL2,GL3 & IMX series..
And also the St.Croix TideMaster Rods...
Very Light and Very Strong....
I like to mix it up with different size rods depending on what applications and conditions I am fishing.7'med-lgt action for throwing smaller
lures and jigs,8'hvy action for using lures over 1oz and a 6.6"med action for off the bridge.
Match them up with a Shimano reel(4000)either in the
Stella,Sustain or Stradic series...
Here is a picture of my combo's

As far a line capacity just fill your spool to the brim about 1/8 below the lip with either mono or braid,don't forget to use a mono backing with the braid...

Good Luck This Year....

[ 05-01-2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Willie:
Hey nightstrikes, why is it important to use a mono backing for the braided line?
Willie,
It's a line slippage issue when you spool up.
Here is the recommendation from a leading Braid
Manufactuer- Power Pro.

Using PowerPro
Spooling Up

Unlike monofilament, PowerPro will not stretch on the reel and cling to the barrel. This can result in line sliding around the barrel, which can seem like a problem with your drag mechanism. Rest assured, your equipment is fine. To avoid slippage, attach PowerPro to your spool using one of these methods:

If your reel has a hole or knob on the barrel, use it.
Leave at least 5 to 10 yards of monofilament on the reel (enough to cover the bottom of the spool) before attaching PowerPro with a Uni to Uni splice.
Put a piece of compressible tape on the barrel before attaching PowerPro.

[ 05-01-2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

I combo'd my Loomis IMX and The Shimano Sustain 4000 to take this Weakfish..Excellent SetUp....

·
Registered
211 Posts
nightstrikes, thanks for the reply, learn something new everytime I sign on to this sight. Thx again

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'm with Nightstrikes. I like a Stradic 4000 for the size rod you are going to use. 30lb. Powerpro and a 7' rod.(Shimano Compre for me)

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
You can tie power pro to the spool and avoid any slipage by using a piece of masking tape. Just tape the knot to the spool and wind the powerpro on.It will NEVER slip using this method!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Most filler spools of super braids are about 125 - 130 yards spools. Most of the time you need mono backing just to bring the braid to the top of your spool.

Check your spool for line capacity then check the diameter of the braid, not the pound test. Put mono backing on to bring the braid to the top. And make sure you put the braid on real tight to cut down on problems when you fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts