BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do u start flounder fishing in the back bay behind Cape May/ WW?

with this year's unusual cold water, when will u start?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Whenever that temp pours over 59degrees - they will start biting. This year, I have not a clue what timeframe that will be in... guessing late mid-to-late May.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
They bite every year beginning no later than Mid -April ,last 2 years bite started first week in april but given water temps I suspect it will be closer to mid-April. Biggest fluke of the year will be caught early ..... Best days are sunny days,best locations is edges of shallow bays on outgoing tides

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does any one use a spray or dip type scent on jigs, plastics.. ? what kind do you preferr..

·
Registered
97 Posts
When my gulp wears out the sent smells like Elmer's glue so I poke about 4 holes though the 4 inch mullet and mix water and Elmer's glue over night and the are perfect to those back bay flat ties

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
I start fishing for them late April to early May. I ALWAYS catch big fluke in the back before the season starts. Like Bucktail Willie said the best time for big boys is early. 4 seasons ago my dad and i went out 2 weeks before the season started to do some recon. No lie we had 6 fish over 24" and many others over 20" within an hour. Drop and reel with big fluke, truly awesome fishing. Then you can count on opening day those fish will get lock jaw LOL.

·
Registered
219 Posts
? Do you still use hooks or just glue the fluke to the mullet.. sorry had to do it..

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Is that the estimated start date: April 3?
It will be just before Memorial Day - about 2 weeks before-(5/16 ?). The ASMFC heavily leaning to have Memorial Day Weekend AND Labor Day Weekend within the 128 days being allocated for 2014.
I'm guessing the season will be from 5/16 to 9/21 , or 5/23 to 9/28 .
They are also leaning to have it run well into September so it appears that 5/23 to 9/28 could be IT. This will be finalized -enacted at a special meeting on April 4.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
First fluke last year for me came March 20th. But the water temps were WAY different. Ill start looking 2nd week of april...these regs are no good for the back bay guys

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
How do you go out and find where they are? Can you go before season to catch and release.........................
Yes, catch and release on Fluke is absolutely legal.

Catch and release on Stripers during their closed season is not though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.