BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Catch this save.

Climbed aboard The Scrapman last Friday for what was supposed to be an Old Grounds trip. Heard the tuna bite was good- so we decided to head toward the Trunk.

Anyway- lightning kept us at the dock until 5:30am.
The fog was so think- it was hard to see TI bridge, let alone the inlet.

We stopped in the fog at the bridge and saw another boat coming in from a storm 3 miles out.

We wait and wait. Hear on the radio of a bigger storm 10 miles out so we bag the offshore trip for the day.

Back at the dock we get out of the 26 pursuit and climb into Rich's 17 skiff.

We hit the back bays of Avalon- and I mean BACK!!!! Way, way back. Ended the day with near 100 flounder and 18 keepers up to 5lbs.

What a way to spend a tuna trip- bailing flatties on light tackle with non-stop action.

I lightly floured them bad boys and the whole family ate good that nite.

Water was ultra clear- even in the shallows but cold. We had 56 at the inlet at high tide and near 72 in the shallows as the tide dropped.

Went back the next day with the kids on my skiff and I got my 3 year old his first flattie. It was a short- but he is now hooked and was on cloud nine!

Thanks Scrapman!!!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
glad to see your trip wasnt a complete bust 18 keepers this years is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Tommy:
Nice going with that change up plan for a very good day in the back waters.....

Its good to see a positive report about the Fluke........Thanks Geo.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Tom, all I can say is
, nice way to save the day. I think 18 is the highest number I heard this year. :D ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good news, Scrapman put me on those fluke on Monday. Bad news, could not cast my jig head without hitting another boat, jet ski,or water skier!!!!!! DON"T WE LOVE HOLIDAY WEEKENDS!!!!! thanks anyway Scrapman...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Real nice report Partnership and thats sounds like a blast catching that many flounder in the skinny water - sounds like you have a fishing partner for life...

I had my 5 yr old nephew out for a back bay OBX flounder trip a few weeks back and he caught his first on a soft plastic, only about 12 incher but he was telling everybody it was 24 inches. His smile in the picture is priceless.

Thanks for the report.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts