BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at picking up a new rod this year for back bay fluke and will be going with a 7' medium action St. Croix but am wondering if I should go with a fast tip or extra fast tip? My goal is to use it mainly for bouncing half ounce to one ounce bucktails. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you'll be using it in the back bay exclusively, I'd go lighter than medium action. Most guys like to have a "fun rod" as their go to back bay fluke rod. I use a St Croix Triumph rod rated for 6lb line, and since I'm not doing much casting, I don't mind using jigs heavier than what the rod is rated for.

But to answer your original question, I like extra fast rods over fast action rods when it comes to graphite.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I've never played with an "extra fast" action rod, do you really need it to hop 1/2 to 1 oz bucktails?? A good fast action is perfect for short hopping lighter bucktails...

RyanF

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
If you'll be using it in the back bay exclusively, I'd go lighter than medium action. Most guys like to have a "fun rod" as their go to back bay fluke rod. I use a St Croix Triumph rod rated for 6lb line, and since I'm not doing much casting, I don't mind using jigs heavier than what the rod is rated for.

But to answer your original question, I like extra fast rods over fast action rods when it comes to graphite.

I use a. Pinnicle tri Flex...rated 1/8-5/8ths for bucktailing the back with 20 braid.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've found if the rod has to much action, I've just broken tip off and put another tip on down at the next guide, until I found what I was looking for. What I've noticed about fluking is, everyones style is different so sometimes it's better to use different stuff before settling in on one set rod. Also sometimes a real whippy tip can get fouled on the guides, which can be a real pain in the arse. I like 10lb braid.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I picked up a new Penn International 7 ft, one piece at a Winter Flea Mkt. at the Local VFW. It balances perfectly with my Abu 5500. I'm going retro and using 10# test Suffix "Seige" Hi-Vis yellow with 12# Fluro on the terminal tackle end. The rod can handle 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz lures and is designed for 10# thre 20# test mono. The best part of the deal was the rod only cost $35.00.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I go real light in the back. I just bought a Shimano Sellus rod rated for 6-12 lb and 1/8 - 3/8 lures. Its a light medium with a extra fast action. I paired it with a Stradic Ci4 3000 and the whole combo is under 12 oz's. I never use anything more than 10lb braid in the back and most days a 3/8oz bucktail is more than enough. Remember with the thinner diameter braids you don't need as much weight to reach bottom.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was looking at back bay rods also, like the st croix mojo inshore, also was thinking of getting a shimano trevala s, XL and use for back back and reefs, handle up to 3 oz, also maybe use in the rips for striper fishing, match it with a shimano baitrunner or stradic. Just don;t know if it's overkill for the back

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I go real light in the back. I just bought a Shimano Sellus rod rated for 6-12 lb and 1/8 - 3/8 lures. Its a light medium with a extra fast action. I paired it with a Stradic Ci4 3000 and the whole combo is under 12 oz's. I never use anything more than 10lb braid in the back and most days a 3/8oz bucktail is more than enough. Remember with the thinner diameter braids you don't need as much weight to reach bottom.

I thought about down sizing to 1 0 lb braid, but the reel ( Shimano Corsair 300A )sees double duty outside fishing sticky bottom, on another rod, and with 10 lb braid I get too many mystery break offs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use 40lb braid on my Avet SX and my ABU Record for deeper water. Here the heavier braid isnt an issue because you are using heavier jigs for deeper water anyway. I have caught everything from 32 inch stripers and big fluke to cownose rays with 10lb braid in the back. Let the drag do its job and to be honest I've never had a break off in the back that wasnt my fault.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I was looking at back bay rods also, like the st croix mojo inshore, also was thinking of getting a shimano trevala s, XL and use for back back and reefs, handle up to 3 oz, also maybe use in the rips for striper fishing, match it with a shimano baitrunner or stradic. Just don;t know if it's overkill for the back
the shimano is not going to give you the feel you need in the backwater

with the 7' mojo 1/2 -1 1/4 i can bounce troll or cast 1 oz bucktails, throw light plugs for bass, and fish 1/4 oz jig heads for weakfish and bass in the lights. it does everything equally well.

Its paired on a Stradic CI4 and has 200 yards of 30# braid, was previous using Tuffline-XP but found it wore too quickly, So I am trying the Suffix 832, 8 plait braid, I did some cast testing at a local football field and am pretty impressed.

The reason I use 30# braid has nothing to do with strength, but since I do alot of casting of light plugs and jigs, the 20# and especially 10# braids are tougher to deal with, are more prone to wind knots, and rod tip fouling.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
You can only buy a Shimano Clarus rod. Thats if you are buying it for me. You have time yet so hit as many shops as you can and check them all out. It's how it feels to you and what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
You can only buy a Shimano Clarus rod. Thats if you are buying it for me. You have time yet so hit as many shops as you can and check them all out. It's how it feels to you and what you are comfortable with.
awesome fishing rod.. got one last yr from fred.. used it in the back, out front and up in montauk for stripers.. can take a nice fish and cast a mile with it.. couldnt be happier

·
Registered
335 Posts

Aren't these freshwater rods? How do they hold up in the salt? Also what model do you suggest?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a 7 foot Rogue fast action paired with a stradic 2500. I go with 8 pound test mono. In the four to eight foot depths I fish you really don't need more. Just be sure to re tie your buck tail often as the line will fray.

Graller

·
Registered
196 Posts
the 7 foot mojo either the power spin or the rod just below it forget the actual name but they are awesome rods. loads of power but super light and fun to catch fish on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry Maycraft. The Rogue I use is advertised on their site as a freshwater rod.
I haven't had any issues with it over the years. Used exclusively in salt water. Also my favorite yellowtail snapper rod when I'm in the keys:).

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Aren't these freshwater rods? How do they hold up in the salt? Also what model do you suggest?
It would be considered freshwater only by weight and action. It's the Clarus CSS-70MA Seven foot medium power, fast action. It's a fun rod in the back. Only problem is that Shimano made many Clarus models and they thinned their list a little and this was one the eliminated. At the tackle show last fall we checked out some rods to replace them. Decided on the Shiman Sojurn and the model I use is the SJS70MHA Seven foot medium heavy power, fast action. Only used it a few times but it's just as much fun and even less expensive.

One thing that I do like about the Sojurn is the guides. Slightly larger guides than the Clarius and they allow the float rig stops to slide through easier. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts