BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending a couple hours in the early morning with fellow barners Snichols and Volkaman out front catching herring and 2 weakies.I came home around 10am knowing I had a buddy coming down late morning to spend the weekend.My plan was to catch a nap and head out to the Delaware bay for an evening trip for drum.Well i couldn't nap and the way the weather has been I asked Chris if he wanted to hit the back instead.He agreed(He works night work and has been up all night)So not pulling an all-nighter was just fine with him.

Having some fresh herring from the morning I decided we would start out for flounder.I tried four different spots from Cape May to Wildwood that I have done well at over the years with out so much as as bite.The tide started to really slow down,so I figured let's go see my friend Fred at No Bones and get some of my go to bait,BELLIES.Fred hooked me up with one of his late tide spots,and before long we had a 30" striper in the boat.The tide then stopped,so we decided to try for flounder again.
We moved behind Wildwood and with a little power drifting picked up some keeper flounder in the 17-19" range.In the same area on one drift at the same time we each picked up a couple of blue fish.
At this time I started wondering,Is it still a back bay grand slam if you catch a weakie in the morning and the other fish later in the day.I even called a couple people to get their opinions.(I was excited having only caught the Glam Slam once before)And I spend a fair amount of time fishing the back.All said it was still a Grand slam,if you catch them all on the same day,but I didn't feel like it was a true one,if I left the water then came back.
The flounder slowed down,so we decided to try for stripers again.(keep in mind it was raining on and off all day)But having to work outside when it rains we really didn't mind fishing in it.We set up near a sob bank and started to catch some sharks,then I thought I had a small shark and pulled up a 17" weakie
BANG there is the slam.My buddy couldn't understand why I was so excited to pull in a 17"weakie,and I tried to explain to him how hard it is for a weekend fisherman like myself to catch a back bay Grand Slam.They just don't come that often.
Needless to say it was great day on the water with hardly anyone else out there for a saturday.

[ 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: LunchMan ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah Pat....congrats. :rolleyes: ;)

You take your "real friends" to where the fish are, you bring the 2nd stringers out to catch herring for bait. :D

The morning trip started out nicely....3-4 footers in the inlet, 4 foot swells out front, first cast I hook up with a weakie on a chartreuse/white Storm and lose it before getting it to the boat.

I didn't get another friggin fish until 2 hours later, by then Lunchie had 8 herring on a pink jig and Volk had a weakie and a herring on bloodworm/float combo.

I finally started catching at the end of the trip when I stopped jigging and started a steady retrieve instead. Pat also "beat" me for a dollar by catching a weakie on a Sabiki rig and 4 on the flyrod.

Great day with two good friends, unfortunately I wasn't invited on the backbay trip where all the fish were. ;)

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by snichols:
Yeah Pat....congrats. :rolleyes: ;)

You take your "real friends" to where the fish are, you bring the 2nd stringers out to catch herring for bait. :D

The morning trip started out nicely....3-4 footers in the inlet, 4 foot swells out front, first cast I hook up with a weakie on a chartreuse/white Storm and lose it before getting it to the boat.

I didn't get another friggin fish until 2 hours later, by then Lunchie had 8 herring on a pink jig and Volk had a weakie and a herring on bloodworm/float combo.

I finally started catching at the end of the trip when I stopped jigging and started a steady retrieve instead. Pat also "beat" me for a dollar by catching a weakie on a Sabiki rig and 4 on the flyrod.

Great day with two good friends, unfortunately I wasn't invited on the backbay trip where all the fish were. ;)
STEVE THE DAY BEFORE HE WAS LAUGHING AND TOLD ME HOW HE WAS GOING TO SUCKER BUCK YOU OUT OF SOME MONEY,HE SAID IT WAS EASY.I CAN'T TELL A LIE I LAUGHED TO BUT I'M ALMOST SORRY--HEHEHEHEHAW.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts