BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lost a few too many small grappling hooks over the last couple years so, with the rain the other day I decided to the time and make a small wreck anchor.

The copper worked out really well. I did not want to go with steel because it would put rust all over the boat and even the alluminum was too hard for me to bend easily by hand. This anchor should grip pretty quick and be light enough to throw a decent distance.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
True, but I'm not really fishing that deep..I was kinda debating whether to put just a small bit of chain or some plastic tube to protect the rode towards the hook.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
always fishing said:
Nice! You gonna leave it floating somewhere for me to tie up too are ya? Buddy old pal... Call me we'll talk a price.:D

Just Great!! Now I have to change my float! Lol!!! :D
No problem, I can def make you one.
I'm going to make a couple more soon.
I'll give you a shout.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NetWorking said:
Did you loop the copper thru the shackle? Also, it looks like three pieces of copper? Good easy design.
That's right 3 pieces copper. Each bent in half looped through the shackle. The copper was real easy to work with.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
insomniac said:
Thanks . I read that post last year. I tried to follow that design with 3/8inch rebar this year and I just could not bend it.:eek:And I couldn't find 1/4inch either.
I just figured the copper would be rust free and easy to bend off a structure.
I like the copper idea. Where did you find the copper

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Josh!

BigSexy,

I bought the copper @ billow electric on rt 9. I actually went there for the grounding rods but they were way too thick. So I bought the thickest single strand they had.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
nice...

interesting idea... I really thought the copper would be too soft to hold your boat in place, but after reading more, it sounds like you want it to be able to bend slightly to help free you easier? I guess it will only bend when pulling under power, not while anchored due to wake?

I love the diy's!:D

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
apexii said:
interesting idea... I really thought the copper would be too soft to hold your boat in place, but after reading more, it sounds like you want it to be able to bend slightly to help free you easier? I guess it will only bend when pulling under power, not while anchored due to wake?

I love the diy's!:D
I can pull this one off the bottom/stucture by hand. I didn't want to make one that I had to pull the boat with to free. It's softer than steel but it's still decently hard to bend. 2 out of the 6 prongs will add enough leverage to keep the boat in reasonable conditions yet easy enough to bend loose. That's kinda why I added the extra prongs. If 4 prongs hold then you might need to change the angle before pulling loose. I'm thinking about keeping one on my kayak too. :D

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Looks perfect for light duty in the back

RyanF

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Looks good Dan. Light duty anchor for a small boat. Looks like it will hold well, but pull pretty easy.

Nice job. Quick. Easy. Effective.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks good!

Looks like a great river anchor too.:)

It would probably be a good idea to secure the shackle pin with a piece of wire...;)

AMPHIBIAN (Tom)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts