BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the back bay in OCity yesterday at dust with some fins with a teaser. Did a slow steady retrive on about a 100 casts along the sod banks. Didn't get a bump but heard some reports of guys catching 33" and 10lbers unfortunately I didn't hook up. It was my first time out this year and was hoping for a gift to start the season with a bang, no dice but it was damn nice to get out. THe beaches out front on the Northend look like they took a beating and there was 24 beach replenishment work going on the entire weekend. Huge pipe and large barge pumping sand in can't be good for the fishing in OC there already is entirely too much sand and no structure. We'll see what the spring brings.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
The sand is eroding away almost as fast as they are pumping it in. The short jetty off Surf Rd. was completely cover after they pumped that beach, now there's at least 10 feet of it in water. There's the possibility of yet another Nor'easter this coming weekend, it only takes a couple of these storms and the beach will be right back where it started from.....

· Registered
1,117 Posts
But an otter came right up to me and begged for a clam.
Ya gotta watch out for those pesky otters, if you don't give them what they want, they'll sneak up behind you, hit you with their tail and take all your bait......:D

You are correct though, other than the north end jetties, the sand is the structure, and as they keep pumping, that structure is going to change, and after they stop pumping it's going to change again.
I often ride the beach at blow out tides to see where all the cuts and bars have formed, it gives you a good clue as to where the better spots may be when the tide comes in......

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to do some recon at low tide and try to identify the cuts and different holes. I can point out the sand bars when I'm on the beach for the waves breaking on them (I think), but I've read on here that it takes a lifetime to really be able to read the beach. I have trouble finding the rip currents that bring the water and bait back out to the stripers.

· Registered
6 Posts
Do you ever post a report that involves you actually catching a fish, or do you simply walk the beaches with a fishing rod and a dumbfounded expression?

Please post the results of your beach recon "bass whisperer."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.