BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post here on the home port as most don't go to the dark side (The Fly Fishing Forum)

Had Peter Cole, from the fly club out. Wind was honking pretty good all day. Almost didn't go but the wind was letting up a little. Gave Peter a call at 7:30 and we left the dock at 8:00 pm.

Took a quick shot to the inlet. Tide was pouring in good with it only a couple of days after the full moon. We each hooked up a couple of herring and lost them. No signs of bass at the inlet so we decided to work the flats on the incoming.
We get to the flats and the wind stops blowing and it is dead calm, like a mirrow.

We weren't there long when Peter hooked a bass and lost it and I did the same. We were having quite a night. 0 for 5. Peter even made me check his hook to see if it was sharp.

Then life got better. I landed a 23 1/2 inch bass on a Chart/white 4 1/2 inch jiggie using intermediate line and Peter gets a 18 incher moments later.

We are slowly working our way around the sod banks and seeing a few pops of bass taking some bait right on the edges of the sod banks.
As we work our way around we have a few more hits and by 10:45 we each get another bass in the 22 inch range. We are having a great night. It is warm and the fish are biting.

By this time the tide is still coming in strong and the sod banks are covered way over the banks and we are hanging up on the upper grass sections as we cast. We are working a creek mouth that you could hardly tell was there, cause the tide had everything covered. I started reeling in my line and told Peter, Let's quit. The water is going to cover the banks almost to the Parkway and it will be a while before the tide changes.

As Peter is striping in his last cast, wham he hooks a nice fish, right in the center of the creek you can hardly see is there. Peter is using a 6 wt rod with floating line and this fish is giving him a battle. He is at the back of the boat, then the front and to the back again and this fish is going all over the place.

I net the fish and am shocked to see a big 34 inch Weakie!!!!instead of a striper. We are both excited. It was a male and croaking real loud. We decide to keep it after taking a ton of pictures.

It was Peter's first weakie on a fly or otherwise. He did a heck of a good job battling it on a 6wt. and it was one of his biggest fish on a fly. While he was on the phone telling his wife we were staying out late, I landed a bluefish around 3 lbs., so as a boat we had a slam for the night. We headed in around midnight and the tide was still coming in strong.

We will weigh it in the morning and get some pictures in the day light. One heck of an exciting night for both of us.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
That's Great Ray,, Thanks For The Report...

By the way what size tippet were you using ?
The reason I asked is based on the weight of the Weakie was it close to a FlyRod Line-Class Record ???

Thx.,.,

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, Peter was using a heavy tippet. If you go for record fish you have to set your leader and tippet up a certain way. One of our Cape May fly anglers did that last year twice with lighter tippet and bigger fish.

Weighed the fish. 10.56 lbs. Definitely a male when we cleaned it. Nothing at all in stomach. It was thin and lean, but plenty mean on the end of Pete's rod.

Here is a good shot of the fly and his 6 wt' Scott rod. Fly was Chart/white with a darker shade green on the top. His flash was a greenish blue.

Pete's wife invited my wife and I over for a nice weakfish dinner.
Here are a couple more pictures in the daylight of the happy fly angler.

Looks like things will be getting even better. Heard there was a nice striper bite on the beachfront here in Cape May last night on bait

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
you need a flounder as well. I thought the backbay grandslam was flounder, weakfish, blue fish, and striper (and maybe tog, I forget. NICE FISH THOUGH ESPECIALLY ON A FLY!!!! Congrats

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Cool, Thanks Ray... I use to bucktail them up off the CMP Rocks with a similiar color years ago...

Great Pics... Thanks Again....

And Speaking of Fly Fishing.. It's not too late to get yourself entered into the NJ Angler Surf Tournament FlyRod Division this Saturday
5/20 6AM.. The backside of the island (Barnegat Bay)is open and has a ton of life in it...

If interested email me at

[email protected] for additional information...

[ 05-17-2006, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was just a slam, Grand slam would of included the fluke, you are right. Any way you cut it, it was a fun night. Love the shallow water stuff the fish can't go down so they run. Was almost like bone fishing with the line zipping through the water. Just not quite the speed.

[ 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fish made out last night. Had just about the same ideal conditions as last night, but not the same results. Had stripers to 22 inches on the fly. Buddy, was using the same good fly as last night and I was using a popping fly. I was getting a number of hits but couldn't get one to really take it. Water was 65 degrees and we were catching in 2 to 3 feet of water. Water on the flats was kind of dead last night with no fish popping at bait along the sodbanks. Can't slam them every night.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally posted by phillyfishing:
how the heck do you catch a flounder on fly rod...
When you are fishing in shallow water, those flounder will come up to hit your fly or you can use a clouser or jiggie and bounce bottom.

Ray...nice fish, glad you got into them.

[ 05-18-2006, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: snichols ]

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like Steve said. I get most of my fluke on the fly rod when working the surf at the point or in the boat, on the beachfront behind the breakers bouncing a fly on the bottom for weakies.

With a light rod you can have a lot of fun with the smaller fish and the rush of just being able to land it when you hook into something big. The key is to enjoy the fight, relax and don't force it. Hard to do when you know there is a big one on the end of the line.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I've had flounder to 6+lbs on the fly. They are way more aggressive than most think. Nice story Ray.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got only schoolie bass the other night to 22 inches and tonight could only manage a few blues along the inlet rocks with the strong wind blowing from the southwest. Water was too dirty and choppy in the back and was dirty and very windy on the beack front. Can't slam them all the time.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Awesome Ray, if you ever want to try the fly off the CG base, let me know, I'll take you on the jetty, or back where the pilings are. Barry landed a 18 striper yesterday. Do you know Capt Frank from the Brinnie B, we fished the NJ Anglers tourney together yesterday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts