BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday the wind was HOWLING and the bay was far from calm. We got to the Somers Point ramp just before the afternoon high tide. I had second thoughts about heading out in the tiny 16.5 Wellcraft , but some nice guy at the ramp handed me a bucket of live green crabs, so I decided to set sail and fish under a bridge to hide from the wind for a while. We got quite a few small bites on the green crabs but only managed 1 oyster toad. I debated combating the wind again to go search for marks on the fish finder. After running and searching around, finally found a few fish, dropped some live eels and used the trolling motor to combat the strong north wind and control the drift speed. My girlfriend and I had 3 - 4 heavy run offs from big fish, BUT only managed to get one bass in the boat. It was a beautiful keeper striper and my girlfriend's personal best. These fish were very aggressive, just very hard to present baits to with the wind. The black sea bass bait was red hot last week at the reefs, so it's going to be a difficult decision which fish to target. It seems everything is on the feed with the slow drop in temperatures.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
excellent work, I see you have the trolling motor working in your favor. Let that bass eat that eel for a bit, it will self hook, just like that 31" I had on Friday. When you feel it come tight, give a nice pull to get that hook set better. See you out there

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pat! Weather dependent, I'll probably be back in the area around Nov11th to take advantage of the evening bite. Maybe some toggin' before the sun drops... I will hopefully be posting on the inshore section again next week. The black sea bass bite was red hot on opening day!

excellent work, I see you have the trolling motor working in your favor. Let that bass eat that eel for a bit, it will self hook, just like that 31" I had on Friday. When you feel it come tight, give a nice pull to get that hook set better. See you out there

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
family guy, I would love to have your energy once again. I have been very slack for a while now. I'm having a hard time getting motivated. Reports from guys like you are inspiring. I know once I come tight to a fish I will be rejuvenated. Thanks for the good vibes.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an awful fluke season resulting in no good reports from May - Sep :(...fall is starting to make up for my summer drought. :)

family guy, I would love to have your energy once again. I have been very slack for a while now. I'm having a hard time getting motivated. Reports from guys like you are inspiring. I know once I come tight to a fish I will be rejuvenated. Thanks for the good vibes.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts