BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few days of high tides and tons of weeds the back bay is back in business.

A good friend stopped by the store this morning. He had been doing great in the back but the last few days was nothing but weeds. He wanted to pick up a bag of clam bellies and run off the beach. I told him the last two bags of fresh just left the dock with two ladies who were fishing the back bay.

I informed him that I had frozen or if he could weight about two hours I would have fresh. He opted for fresh and that he had a few things he could do first. He then tells me his story from yesterday. Left the dock for the back bay. The winds had piled the straw grass thick in his canal so he had to push his way through. After clearing the weeds he noticed his water pump was a little sluggish so he heads to a friends dock to have it looked at. After clearing the problem he heads for his striper spot. Anchors up and opens the cooler to start chunking the bellies. Cooler is empty. He forgot the bellies. Heads back to his dock to find he left the bag of bellies on the dock. When the gulls got done there was nothing left but a torn bag.

I told him to wait a minute and I called the two ladies to see how they were doing. No sense running out the inlet if the fish were on in the back. They had four and another one on the hook and had to hang up guick.

My friend left to join them and called about two hours later to tell me he had five and he could see the girls up ahead still catching. After a day like yesterday he needed a break.

North Wildwood still has a lot of good fishing to offer. Don't pull your boat to early.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Chunking: I had the bag of bellies I got from you last week and was in the North Wildwood area today:Toll bridge around to the free bridge near Stone Harbor, back to the free bridge and drifting out toward the Greek church. NOTHING! The last 3 trips in these areas and farther back (areas talked about when I was in last week)have resulted in 3 throw backs caught on a bucktail/teaser combo.Whats going on? I haven't got much from these areas or a friends dock near the bridge since late October. It seems the fish have left, but you have reports of fish being caught. What light can you shed on places I should try back there. If you don't want to post an area, please say so, and I will give you a call tomorrow (Wed.). I'm on call at work, and if I don't get called,I want to get out tomorrow, or as soon as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water has been holding around 50 degrees. Hopefully it will hold into December and air temps this week can only help.

KAYAK. The past seven days have been rough. New moon tides along with all the wind and rain have made it difficult in the back. One guy came in on Saturday and just shook his head. Tide was so high he couldn't even tell where the sod bank was. The high water pulled all the dead grass off the meadow and the wind ripped the big leafy weed from the bottom of the shallow sounds.

On Saturday the tide ran two hours past what the chart had and Rio Grande Ave was flooded with a foot of water that backed up through the pipes. We culdn't get out of our parking lot for about two hours. These conditions make the back bays almost unfishable. Stripers can vacate these areas in a matter of minutes and we just hope that they return. After yesterday it sounds like they have.

We are going out today to try and tape a show. Should be leaving the dock around 9am in a rental boat. Give me a call at 522-3017 and I'll let you know where we will be. If you want anchor up down current from us and get in my slick. Hook one up and smile for the camera.

C. Phil. It depends on where you are fishing. Doesn't hurt to take two baits but my pick in the back is clam if you can make a scent trail. With these mildtems and slower tides the back should be hot this weekend. I cleaned four nice stripers yesterday and they were stuffed with grass shrimp, mantis shrimp and clam bellies. These fish were caught way up in the back on the last of the high tide. The girls said little or no problem with grass.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Kayak Drifter: I can tell you that I fish the same areas you do. (even fished next to you this summer and slammed the blues). The striper were there last Sat and Sun. Caught them on Storms and Clams. The weeds were rough, and it was almost impossible to navigate at high speeds due to the sod being underwater, but the fish were there.

To combat all the grass we used Storms. The grass was all on top so we could time our retrieve to let clumps pass before we reeled through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts