BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the back bay was at 45.8 and it felt like SPRING.

In 47 days it starts all over again.

If the weather doesn't go insane we will have rental boats ready for March 1st.

Drove through town and hotels and motels are already flying banners for renters.

Took a real long boat ride around the back on Tuesday. Still looks healthy. Even managed to sneak up on Fishpicker while he was rearanging some of his nets.

I see a few more loons this season but nothing to compare to the cormorants. I still hate to see that many corms in our back waters.

Drop net with no bait still gets a handfull of grass shrimp whenever I pull it up. Minnow trap fills up with small to medium minnows.

Moving some furnature around in the store to make room for new tackle. If you get in town stop by for some coffee and BS.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Originally posted by Ronbo WCNJ:
Chunking,

Where is your store?
Mocean Marina
540-560 Rio Grande Avenue
Wildwood, NJ 08260
(609) 522-3017

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Ronbo WCNJ:
Chunking,

Where is your store?
Between Urie's and Boathouse restaurants.

You may want to change your signature. :D :D

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
It was 46 out front yesterday.......
This could be an early starting season.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Those are some really warm readings, no wonder they are still getting bass at IBSP. What would a quick chilling do to those shrimp and minnows Fred? You usually see them all winter??

RyanF

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Fred, do you have a web site to your store? I'll be down that way in Feb and I'll stop in to say hi and talk some fishing.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Web site are you kidding. We just found out Lindberg made it. :D Just call ahead 609 522 3017 and I'mm make sure I'm there when you come down in Feb.

A cold snap won't bother anything in the back. About fifteen years ago I needed food for my saltwater aquarium. Went down to the dock where I had three minnow traps in the water. It was so freakin cold that I had to use a hammer to break the ice. Managed to get some water into a bucket and pulled the traps. It was around 5 degrees that morning and by the time I opened the traps the shrimp and minnows were frozen. By the time I rebaited the traps and left the bucket had a coating of ice on it. Got home and placed the bucket next to my woodstove. A few hours later I figured I'd be feeding the aquarium a dead dinner but was wrong. Everything was swimming around in good health. The water on the outside of the shrimp and minnows had frozen solid but it never harmed the critters. Doubt if any of us could say the same.

No matter what happens the rest of this winter the wildlife should do fine in the back bays. From what i know the one animal that gets hit the hardest in severe winters are the birds. Freshwater freezes solid and they can't drink or clean themselves. Prolonged periods of brutal cold can do some harm to the birds.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Interesting reply. It seems these smaller critters have a higher tolerance for temperature ranges. You are not getting decent sized minnows all winter are you?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every day the minnow trap has a mix. A few close to four inches but more many more on the smaller side. In November we had a bunch of jumbos but when the water cooled they moved off. The big guys usually show up again in March and we have a minnow box ready for them.

We still have our small tank going with a few hermit crabs, minnows, shrimp and even a few small blueclaws. Just to remind us what they look like. :D

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
You'll break down and eat them. Jack will win

1 - 16 of 16 Posts