BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to be back fellas. boat goes in the water in 2 weeks. Just wanted to say hello to everyone and see if yal have gotten on some already.
anyway, also had a quick question about getting my gear ready for the season.
My plan is to take apart the reels, soak them, then hit them with WD40 and then put on the line. Is this right, or should i be doing something more.
Also, my plan was to re-due all my reels with fresh new line for the season, but just wanted to know if you all feel i need to re-due the reels with lead line on them as well. As you all know the lead line is rather expensive and i figured that its probably a little more durable than regular line. i would obviously hate to be trolling up my umbrellas and get a snap on a nice fish, but i also don't want to waste my money putting on new lead line.
Thanks for the help as always,
Cap.
Deanald

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Deanald....DON'T use WD40 on your reels. Yes it lubricates them initially but it will actually dry them out in the long run.

Lube your reels with a high quality oil instead.

Good luck this season.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yup...what he said.

WD-40 was originally developed as "water dispersant number 40"

Just happened to be the 40th mixture they came up with when attempting to find an anti corrosion/lubricating treatment for the aerospace industry. The lubricating properties are almost incidental...WD's real beauty is as a rust preventative.

Reel lube is the way to go. I like to give stuff a post season shot of the ole WD though as an exterior kinda icing on the cake measure.

[ 03-14-2006, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: glennexit13 ]

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
Use Corrosion X

It's also best to do it at the end of the season so salt doesn't sit in there for the winter.

Your lead line should be fine

[ 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Bob ECT ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts