BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back form my trip to Maui and Kauai. Crashed last night around 8pm after a 36 day without sleep and 11 hours in the air!

The good news is that the wedding went perfectly. Reception flew by!

Also, we hooked up with the fishing outfit called Start me up in Maui. 8 hour trip was not so good at first. Got sea sick and was worthless. We trolled and couldn't get anything. The mate put us on small skip jack tuna and the other 3 passengers got to bring them in. I was skunked.

Best part was turning to my new bride and saying I was ready to go back to port. As I finished that statement we heard the outrigger pop then the real zing...the mate yells real 4 your up. After a 35-40 minute battle I boated a 96" 116# blue marlin. I hooked it in near the dorsal fin so it was a very tough battle.

Pictures will follow once I am awake enough.

Now I am ready for stripers!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also just got married and returned home from my honeymoon in Maui and Kauai on 9-28-05. I fished with Aerial Sportfishing Charters, which is a couple of booths down from Start Me Up. I chartered the boat for the whole day with just me and the new wife. We trolled artificials for 3 hours and nothing. We arrived at the K buoy and put on a small skipjack to pull, 3 minutes later we had a knockdown but missed the fish. So, we put on another skipjack on, 2-3 minutes later another knockdown, but missed the fish again. That was it, we didnt have anymore skipjack with us, so I suggested to stop and drift with light tackle to try and pick up something for the new wife, but the captain and mate said that the boat wasnt equipped with light tackle. So, we put the artificials back on and trolled for another 5 hours and nothing. It was very aggravating that they only had 2 skipjack with them for an 8 hour trip that cost $800. Not including the tip. Oh well a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. It was a beautiful and expensive boat ride. Tight lines and lets go stripers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We circled the K bouy too and they used small bait and something like a lead head with a bucktail. They picked up 3 tuna that the other people on the boat brought it. The tackle was too big so there was no fight. I brough one nearly to the boat before a monster wake ripped it off the boat. We found a net that broke loose and circled for Mahi without luck. We did get one hit but like Blue fish it took 90 of the fish up to, but not including, the hook. We also had a Marlin hit early in the troll but it spit the hook

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not my choice. I believe in keeping the bare minimum for dinner. The captain said from the start that they normally release. They do rely on the meat sales to make money and we didn't catch any Mahi or Ahi to sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.