BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a friend use to say "The best laid plans of mice and motormen often go astray." Turned out my mom wasn't feeling well and it was tough for me to leave her alone for any length of time. I feel bad that I wasn't able to get out with the folks who offered. I did manage to get out for a couple of hours the first night I was down(N. Wildwood) but that was it. I should have known things weren't going to go as planned when I took out my 6 wgt to rig it up. Turns out instead of my 9 foot rod, I'd bought my 7' 6" rod. Not the best rod for fishing off a jetty. I rigged it anyway, along with the 8 wgt and headed down to the New York Ave jetty. Next shock. The place was crowded. All the good spots were taken. In all the years, I've been coming down I can't remember it being that crowded. Plus they had paved it and made it civilized. A bit of consolation was some surface activity right where I'd parked. I started off with a Silverside pattern on the 6 wgt, but after a few casts I could tell, the sinking line wasn't going to work real well, but I persisted. After a bit I heard "Philly" turns out it was Rocco. He and his dad had been riding around checking out the action for a bit. Apparently it was as dead here as anywhere else. We talked a bit before he headed home for dinner and if the weather wasn't bad we'd try to hook up later in the week. That didn't pan for reasons already mentioned. I made a few more casts and was retrieving when I was distracted by someone actually catching a fish. Bad move on my part, the sinking line got caught in the rocks, and the fly line broke well above the loop connector as I tried to pull it out. I had the 8 wgt rigged with a floating line, so I rigged up a popper. Nothing. I'd run through most of my favorites, so I tied on a small mullet siliclone. Things started to pick up. I made a cast but got distracted again by someone catching a snapper blue. There was a sharp tug and I reacted and ripped the fly from the lips of a...seagull. Started paying a bit more attention. And over the next half hour or so, I landed a couple of snapper blues, missed a bunch more, and hooked 4 seagulls, three got away, and the last one was landed and carefully relased. I didn't see any schools, but a mullet imitation was the fly of the night.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ouch, sorry you lost your sinking tip in the rocks. I know how it feels. That happened to my old Teeny TS-350. It went from a nice 9wt-sized 30ft 350-grain head to a 15ft 175-grain 4wt-sized head in a matter of seconds. Barnacles tend to do that!! :eek:

[ 10-04-2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Philly, too bad things didn't work out. Rocco said he saw you and you said you would call if you had some time. Didn't miss a whole lot, but it would of been fun to get out anyway. Hope your mom is feeling better. Seems like the whole beach front is hit or miss. There have been some nice catches, but nothing real steady, except for those little blues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts