BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know with the water temp we are still thinking about winter flatties. When do you guys think the flounder will arrive in the back?
Most years I usually can catch them pretty good between April 15-20th. I can count on weakfish showing about a week after my first flatties too.
This year looks bad the water temp has to go up 10-15 before I can imagine any weakfish or flounder will be around and active. I know the season is closed but we enjoy checking out a few places preseason. I know they pick up some early in the Rips on bucktails with mackerel meant for stripers. Any guesses when the first ones will be caught?

[ 04-10-2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Frank,
before the days of a flounder "season" :( , I would usually put the boat in April 1. Would usually begin catching flatties right away. water temps as low as 48/49. Quite often April was the best time at Paddy's hole(If the winds cooperated that time of year). By May, when the crowds started to arrive, I'd be outa there.
Grab

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Usually when the winter flounder move out the fluke move in right behind them. The WF are still in the back bays and are moving a little but haven't started to group up near the inlets yet. So I'd say the fluke are going to be a couple weeks behind schedule. Water temps play a big roll on who's here who's not.

·
Registered
426 Posts
There's already fluke in back,caught 2 shorts (15in)mixed with winter flounder anchored and chuming behind Townsends Inlet( sat).Also a few daylights.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I normally start catching flounder around this time but usually shorts. The big boys seem to be thick around the middle of may through july.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Capt.alc111, I second that for sure and I guess no one read my Summer Flounder post posted yesterday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Hey Capt,alc111, I finally recgnised you ! thanx for the tow service

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by ratttle trap:
Is it a fact that summer flounder opens may 8th.Just want to make sure.Thanks
Yep, Season Runs from 5/8-10/11

1 - 12 of 12 Posts