BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking around the idea of buying a Yak to use when I don't want to run my boat in the back.... or when I go road trippin south, but I really do have back issues.

Which of the ones on the market do you think I should be looking at... or am I just looking for trouble?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sounds like you need a yak with a motor. Something you can just sit in and enjoy, maybe an Ocean Kayak Torque or a Hobie Evolve.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have had ocean kayaks and I now own a tarpon 120. I do not have back issues but I can tell you that being in the yak for a couple of hours really takes a toll on my back. Forget about paddling - just sitting there straight up cramps me up. Everyone is different so you will get others that may disagree. Also, it could just be that my seats have sucked. You may want to see if there are specific seats that you could buy that would be easy on you in the yak. That would be my input. Good luck and hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You may want test ride a ProAngler (Hobie) the seat is more like a chair and the back has adjustable strapes and is very stable. You should rent one for a day as a short ride won't give the answers you need.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The native watercraft first class seat is one of the best in the business. I have three bad disks in my back and suffer front chronic back pain and I can spend a day in my natives with zero issues.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have found that the seat is very important in relation to my back.
Stopping after a whilefor a good stretch helps. You might want to try one before buying. You can rent one to try out before you buy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too have a bad back and have had two surgeries. This was a question I had research as well and the long and short of it is to test out various boats SEVERAL times if you can. A test paddle of one day or a few minutes may not show anything.
I found that the peddle yaks like the hobie mirage and native propel actually irrated my back over time. Each back is different though as I spoke with some who had bad backs that loved them.
At the end of the day I settled on NuCanoe this past fall (it works well for me). I can mount a swivel seat it in and have gone as long as 6-8 hours with little pain. The boat is heavy but with a cart is not too bad (may eventually get a trailer and trolling motor). It is also good for me as it is very versatile as I can set it up with forward and back seats when I take my daughters out or mount the seat more toward the center when it is just me. I can also easily stand or switch positions such as kneeling or even laying down if necessary. Again, this has worked for me after testing several models more than once.
I know that last summer Barrell had some that you could even borrow for the day.
I guess this all goes to say that as for a back, you will never know unless you try different models and take things slow.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Check out the Hobie Pro Angler, hard back seat with good back support. If I spend any time in a yak with a soft seat my back is throbbing, not so in the pro angler.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
my backside is throbbing...
:eek: I'm not going near the subject matter of your backside throbbing and what may have caused it. All I'm saying is you retired guys have way too much free time on your hands.

Regarding the seat issues, I would think that a yak that lets you sit in as close to a position as would be in a regular chair, rather than legs straight out, would be what to look for. My Cobra Fish N Dive seat is a tad bit higher, but Loopy is right in that the loose soft seat would be killer to a bad back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would do a couple test rides or even a couple 1/2 day rentals. I have a bad back so i know how u feel. I usually fish about 1 to 2 hours before i have to get up and stretch. I have a wilderness systems ride 135 and love it. Give barrell a call he is down your way and a sponsor here on the barn. I'm sure he can help you out with the test rides and your purchase. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
A bad back can be in diferent locations and caused by a lot of diferent problems so its hard to say. One thing I have learned about bad backs is the best thing for them is excersise. A strong back is a lot less painfull then a weak back.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Bad back and yaks are a tough combo - I make sure I take a break ever so often and get out and walk around on a sod bank or the beach. I'm doing abs 5x a week this winter hoping to relieve some of the pain.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Def try a few out for a few hrs + a couple trips is a good idea too.There r also some high end comfy/supportive seats out there to consider too.Ive had low back issues for years and was always able to yak for 6+ hrs on river trips etc on a standard seat yak (SOT or sit in) but have to limit myself to 2hr trips with the mirage. Prob is I love fishing the hobie- its the goods! Im considering ditching the turbo fins or maybe switching from the sport to the revo to get more out of less pedal effort.To go electric would cost as much as buying a used skiff which would get me to the same places i wanna go in the salt. Would be nice if the electric technology would come down a bit in $. Im actually starting to work out like Brian to get ready for fishing season:eek: Who works out to fish? Wife thinks im nutz and as usual shes right.:nuts: gettin old sux!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like springtime test drives are in order.. thanks for giving me a few names to put o the checklist and I will take a trip over to see Barrell.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Def try a few out for a few hrs + a couple trips is a good idea too.There r also some high end comfy/supportive seats out there to consider too.Ive had low back issues for years and was always able to yak for 6+ hrs on river trips etc on a standard seat yak (SOT or sit in) but have to limit myself to 2hr trips with the mirage. Prob is I love fishing the hobie- its the goods! Im considering ditching the turbo fins or maybe switching from the sport to the revo to get more out of less pedal effort.To go electric would cost as much as buying a used skiff which would get me to the same places i wanna go in the salt. Would be nice if the electric technology would come down a bit in $. Im actually starting to work out like Brian to get ready for fishing season:eek: Who works out to fish? Wife thinks im nutz and as usual shes right.:nuts: gettin old sux!
I broke off a Goliath Grouper a couple days ago because I wasnt in good enough shape to land it. After an hour I had only gained a couple feet of line and my back just lost it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts