BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just spen over 11,000 for bunch of work on one of my boats. I get the boat back and found a few issues - here's a copy of the email I sent to the yard:

"I had a chance to see the boat yesterday and review the work completed. Most of the work looked very good but I was surprised to see that not all the accessible bilge areas were painted as noted in your work order # 5602. I will have to paint these areas to complete the job. I can forward pics of the areas not painted. Also portions of the bilge were left very messy - fiberglass (from the repairs performed) and debris from removal and install of the thruhull for the sink drain were found and had to be removed. Scattered through the cabin were the ends of the new bolts that were cut off when the window flanges were installed (I can email you pics). Both invoice #5602 and #5627 indicate time was charged for cleanup. Their was also a ton of dust and even some old sand paper left in the boat (I can email you pics of this stuff if you want proof - I kept it all in one bag). I spent just under two two hours completing the cleanup not performed by your crew. Finally on invoice # 5627 I was charged $90.00 for compounding and waxing the cockpit area and white part of the cabin top - this was not done - not only were these area very dirty and filled with footprints, dirty finger marks and dirt/dust - also water did not bead when I tested the area for wax.

Please let me know how you propse resolving these issues. After spending over 11k for the work the boat should have been 100%. Also important items in the boat - sail cover and am/fm radio and vhf radio- were not protected from the dust and are now very dirty- this is not acceptable from a professional yard. I'm requesting you credit me $315. below is a breakdown of how I arived at this number:

Bilge paint missing in 3 Areas: $90.-credit of labor charged - one hour to complete
Cleanup of boat: $135. - 1.5 hours to complete
Compound and wax not done: $90 - credit of labor charged

Review and advise ASAP. "

I was told the owner was made aware but could not respond today. I've been a customer on and off for about 12 years and have spend many thousands with this guy. Should I call Credit Card Co. and file a dispute now or wait for Friday?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I would not call it bad customer service yet. You need to wait to see how they handle the problem. Right now I would call it work that was over looked. Before you done anything you should have called them before doing any clean up.

When we have something happen like this and it does happen we inform the customer to bring the boat back and we will take care of it. We also offer something since they had to bring the boat back to us. We just installed a set of trim tabs and we forgot to tie strap the wires up behind the helm. Since the customer had to return with the boat we gave him a card for a free winterize of his 4 stroke outboard next fall. Will that make up for not catching it before it left the first time? I hope so.

You can call it bad customer service if he does not return your phone call or does not want to help out in any way.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I would not call it bad customer service yet. You need to wait to see how they handle the problem. Right now I would call it work that was over looked. Before you done anything you should have called them before doing any clean up.
I agree 100%. Give them a chance to make it right.

·
Administrator
52,436 Posts
So I just spen over 11,000 for bunch of work on one of my boats. I get the boat back and found a few issues - here's a copy of the email I sent to the yard:

"I had a chance to see the boat yesterday and review the work completed. ?

Didn't you review the invoice and inspect the work before paying and taking delivery of the boat ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will let him respond - but the delay is not like him. He or his staff calls my cell for questions, payment, approvals - they are very fast. I call it bad service because I expect the same amount of attention and speed when I have a problem - not just when he wants a check.

I was down to the boat several times to review the work - he broke the work up into 4 parts - I reviewed the first three prior to paying. I did not have a chance to see the boat prior to pickup - he wants payment asap and if you dont pay cash/check he charges your card on file.

I could not wait on the cleanup due to the fact that I'm selling the boat and have some buyers looking at her the day it was back. The yard owner new all about this from day one. Also transporting the boat was done by a boat hauler - it was over $200. each way + my time.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
When you pay $11,000 for anything you have every right to have the expectations that it should be perfect. I'd give them a chance to respond and after 2 days I'd warn them you are going to contest the charge if you don't hear from them with-in the next 24 hours.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My comments may not be directly related to boat service but rather service in general. As a roofing contractor for for over 35 years, I feel I know what a customer expects. I am not saying I have never made a mistake. If someone spends their hard earned money for a service, the work should be checked and double checked. Too many workers have no regard for quality or cleanliness. I have seen this personally recently with cable, alarm and telephone installers. They treat every job as new construction- wire insulation and cut-offs were left where they fell. I was taught that when the job is done, the only thing that should be different is the new installation. The work site should be as clean or cleaner than before the job began. As far the post that started this thread, if the installations had been checked before considering the work finished, this issue could have beeen avoided. Just my opinion

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
I would give then a chance to respond,From what you described it sounds like the kind of work that is left to the least experience guy in the yard and maybe even a young kid and the the Owner might not be aware of it.

I'm just guessing but that's the way it seems to me:huh:

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had a similar issue with a local yard. After notifying them of my issue, they made it more than right. Give them time to react. I still use the same yard and their service is great.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts

When we have something happen like this and it does happen we inform the customer to bring the boat back and we will take care of it. We also offer something since they had to bring the boat back to us. We just installed a set of trim tabs and we forgot to tie strap the wires up behind the helm. Since the customer had to return with the boat we gave him a card for a free winterize of his 4 stroke outboard next fall. Will that make up for not catching it before it left the first time? I hope so.

You can call it bad customer service if he does not return your phone call or does not want to help out in any way.

It's all good Joe!! See you in the fall.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I have been there... some of our Jobs may take a week or more to finish up. Once I had a pile of old wires and mounting ties for a engine I was making a new harness for sitting in a pile in the corner. The customer comes down and decides to "clean up after me", and throws it all in the trash. Needless to say it took more than 4 days and $300 in parts to get back the parts that were lost.

If you have recieved the final bill before everything was said and done, then it's bad. It's even worse if they dont care about the situation.

Not making excuses for anyone, but this is a busy time for everyone in the marine field. It's easy for something to mistakenly get overlooked.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I would give then a chance to respond,From what you described it sounds like the kind of work that is left to the least experience guy in the yard and maybe even a young kid and the the Owner might not be aware of it.

I'm just guessing but that's the way it seems to me:huh:
I agree. The work mentioned sounds like a few hours of clean up work that was not propperly done before you picked up the boat. I would be disapointed too, but hopefully the other $10,700 worth of work was top notch.

After a job that big, I'd be suprised if the boat yard didn't say bring back the boat and we will give it a full detailing, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Whether I pay some $100 or $11000 I expect the same service. There is no reason why your boat should be a mess. I would expect them to fix the mistake and to me whether it is fixed or not is still bad service, it should never have come to this in the first place. I could see one or two thing but not that many. I see and hear to much of this, and now people are trying to do things themselves because way to many yards and mechanics just don't care anymore once they have your check.

Bottom line is it should have never happened.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Here's a person who knows the essence of customer service and how to salvage misunderstandings before they turn sour. Hat's off to Barnacle Bill's Marine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whether I pay some $100 or $11000 I expect the same service. There is no reason why your boat should be a mess. I would expect them to fix the mistake and to me whether it is fixed or not is still bad service, it should never have come to this in the first place. I could see one or two thing but not that many. I see and hear to much of this, and now people are trying to do things themselves because way to many yards and mechanics just don't care anymore once they have your check.

Bottom line is it should have never happened.

This guy is close to you.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Cardinal Marina - did NOT do the work on this boat.

Received a call today - they are going to credit me the amount requested. Good resolution.

gw24t - I only quote you a little over $ 4000.00 .... And did NOT get the Job ! Some Barner's are emailing me asking if it was Cardinal Marina that did the work ...... I want to make it very Clear that " Cardinal " did NOT do the work on your boat and that you took it to another Marina to have this work done ! Thanks Cardinal Joe :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.