1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sat in on the press conference.....The tanks were installed in 1988 & are inspected monthly. No word was mentioned on any leak detectors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yesterday they claimed the leak "was stopped before it reached blackwood lake". Now this morning they say it "made its way north with the current into Big Timber Creek and Blackwood Lake" and that those who (used to) fish in blackwood lake should "refrain from doing so until notified it is again safe to do so."

http://gloucestertownship.patch.com...shington-twp-impacts-gloucester-twp-waterways

These are the same people that were saying yesterday "we see no reason to think the ground water and those with well water are affected". They are still saying it today: "Health officials do not believe the diesel spill will affect drinking water" Yeah right. If I had well water near there, I wouldn't trust one word from these people and get my wells tested over the next week.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
So as I know the area, FROM YEARS AGO, there use to be a stream stocked with Trout that ran from a dam ,(dam & pond gone & no longer stocked),, Years ago that was nice moving Trout water that ran along the freeway then into Grenloch lake , the bus station was across the highway from the stream, SO I guess the spill started there, into the stream and made its way to the lake....I would think if they found the spill early they could have headed most of it off in that stream before it got into the whole watershed....

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I think the stream you speak of was/is called Lebanon Run. I remember seeing people along the edges trout fishing back in the 70's.
YEA thats it....I fished there back in the late 60s to early 70s. was a very nice area back then, the edge of the pines ,before all the developement, The lake side had some nice LM in it, and the stream below the dam was stocked,,,I dont know what it looks like now, hold any fish etc....??? I think the dam washed out and changed it and silt from roads etc must have taken a toll over the years of development,,,,,?????

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II

·
Registered
931 Posts
I passed Blackwood Lake yesterday; it is only 1/2 mile from my house. There was a Haz/mat truck set up with a floating wall across the lake just in front of the dam. Did not see any dead wildlife or any oily sheen on the water but it gve me the creeps. Our clubs Lunker came from Blackwood Lake last year. Just really sad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Above Lebanon Run is what's still on Google as Nash's Lake. I used to fish that in the 80's w/ my dad. That had bass and picks in it. I think that fed Lebanon Run back then. I walked back there once in the early 90's and 90 percent of the water was gone. There was just a bunch of small streams left. It appears to be totally dry now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I passed Blackwood Lake yesterday; it is only 1/2 mile from my house. There was a Haz/mat truck set up with a floating wall across the lake just in front of the dam. Did not see any dead wildlife or any oily sheen on the water but it gve me the creeps. Our clubs Lunker came from Blackwood Lake last year. Just really sad.
I drove past Grenloch yesterday and the stench of fuel was overbearing (and all I did was drive by it). They had some pumping equipment, don't know what they are doing - if they are pumping the water out completely or just through a filter or what. But just the smell alone and you can tell its bad. It wouldn't surprise me if that lake is going to be dead for a few years before it can come back.

sic yakker - can you smell the fuel from where you are at Blackwood Lake? Looking at the map, the spill had to have entered from all the way in the back on the south end. If the spill reached all the way up to the dam - well, that's just really really bad because that means it snaked its way all the way through the entire lake northward. I was hoping they caught it fast and stopped it such that only the far south end got contaminated but if they are booming up by the dam, that might mean the entire lake got contaminated.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mazzgolf; I did not smell anything when I drove past the Blackwood lake dam the other day but I did not get out of my car either. It might have been a precautionary measure. I didn't see any oily discoloration in the water. If I get by there soon I will post a report.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That sux of epic proportions! Blackwood was one of my regular spots when in camden co.:thumbsdown: Oddly, once a year or so ive caught fair sized trout in the blackwood lake spillway on jerkbaits and senkos ment for bass (probably fall stockies washed down from grenloch)- usually in Jan/Feb.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's till a full effort underway....tankers at the bus garage, vactor tuck along BHP along the lake, a crew down along blackwwod lake in a boat, etc. Booms are still all over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.