BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2006 Mercury 200 Optimax..Got i in late april with the new boat of 07.Ran awsome,even with this ethanol crap.Once the colder months arrived i started having troubles starting and idiling.After about 15mins of starting stopping it finally starts.Keep in mind i use the quicksilver cleaning additives and fuel stablizers.Get out t he creek go to throttle up and around 2000-2200rpm it drops out-meaning it shuts off almost like a getting fuel cut in a race car.Same after few attempts of restarting and stalling it runs normal.Goto throttle this time no problem even though all rpm ranges.Get to the fishing grounds shut down fish and restart in a few hours runs beautiful.Winterize it at the dealer he looks its over hooks it up to the machine no problems or error codes.Cylinder test all ok.Get it back this weekend and same thing happens again?

I searched this forum and found a thread with stugots saying the combination of the air and fuel(ethanol)create a gummy like residue or substance in the tank which causes the cut.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
HappyFlappy said:
I own a 2006 Mercury 200 Optimax..Got i in late april with the new boat of 07.Ran awsome,even with this ethanol crap.Once the colder months arrived i started having troubles starting and idiling.After about 15mins of starting stopping it finally starts.Keep in mind i use the quicksilver cleaning additives and fuel stablizers.Get out t he creek go to throttle up and around 2000-2200rpm it drops out-meaning it shuts off almost like a getting fuel cut in a race car.Same after few attempts of restarting and stalling it runs normal.Goto throttle this time no problem even though all rpm ranges.Get to the fishing grounds shut down fish and restart in a few hours runs beautiful.Winterize it at the dealer he looks its over hooks it up to the machine no problems or error codes.Cylinder test all ok.Get it back this weekend and same thing happens again?

I searched this forum and found a thread with stugots saying the combination of the air and fuel(ethanol)create a gummy like residue or substance in the tank which causes the cut.

Have you checked/drained/changed the fuel filter under the engine cover? It's small screw on can.. It has a wire connected to the bottom of it. Is the wire connected? That's the water sensor alarm..

Do you have Racor filter between the engine and the fuel tank?

Merc does not recommend filters between the tank and the engine. I've always read that as they are afraid the installation will create a fuel restriction. Some 3/8" hose barbs do not meet the 9/32" ID dia that is required for V6 outboards. This can possible cause a fuel restriction with the bigger V6 engines. Tempo hose barbs meet this spec. I've seen 100's of Optimax's running Racors with no problems at all.

The above Merc thing has nothing to do with your stalling out problem, but I would inspect your fuel lines for a possible air leak. That would cause the intermedate stalling problems if a hose clamp was loose. Letting air to be pulled into the fuel line. If a hose clamp was loose it might pull it closed one time then the next time you open her up she pulls air.

If the engine runs fine sometimes I seriously doubt it's an E10 problem. If E10 was gumming up the fuel system you'd have the problem everytime you open the throttle.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
tom isnt it under warranty? by the way if not- try tilting the motor up some. seems margaritaville has the same problem on his yam and with it tilted up the problem stopped.not that it fixed the problem but its a thought.

·
Registered
862 Posts
A few pointers to help you out. One of the most important like dunk stated is make sure the fuel system is up to snuff and have some one run it with a vacum guage on the system. Although fuel restriction problems will usually show up more in warmer temps due to restrictions causing the fuel to vaporize in the heat. You need to make sure that your dealer has serviced the motor completely. Spark plugs in that engine only have a life span of about 75 to 125 hrs of operation before you will notice runabilty issues. Also, has the fuel filter in the VST tank been changed..... 05 and newer utilize a screw in element with a red cap on it and should be changed annually. If the dealer checked it out , what were the fuel and air pressure readings? What size Battery's are in the boat and do they have lock nuts and clean connections. That ignition system operates off of battery voltage you need at least 800cca or 950 mca to operate that engine so you don't have issues. Last you may want to have some one ck out your key switch and emergency shutoff switch for shorts to ground.
If these items all ck out good it is possible that you have a bad direct injector or an electrical issue on the engine . The newer Mercury Optimax' have really been bullet proof most of the issues usually stem from fuel problems or electrical issues in the boat.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
There is a product out by Sea Brite that is supposed to somehow neutralize the effect of water in your gas. Also, make sure to really close the cap tightly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts