BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw young guy in shorts and sandals take a bad fall on a jetty. When they got him out of the rocks he was awake but covered in blood. Looked like he cracked his head pretty good. I wasn't on the rocks but could see the blood from some distance away.

WEAR YOUR KORKERS!! I always try to tell people about how slippery the rocks are when wet and the dangers but some of them just won't listen--even parents with kids!!!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Summer 93 I had to drive two kids to Southern Ocean County Hospital after they fell on a jetty, then got swept of it - luckily my lifeguard partner Dan was there with me (we where bodysurfing after work) and we pulled them in - these two where cut up real bad we threw them in the back of my explorer and took of so they could get a tetanus shot and all their cuts cleaned

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
I am shocked... no, totally amazed that more people don't get seriously injured or killed on jetties every season. And no matter what you say to them on their way out on the rocks, they just smile, and keep on sliding....

·
Registered
845 Posts
My Question.........Whoever thought of the idea that metal spikes on slippery, wet rocks would keep you from slipping??

·
Registered
14,785 Posts
I took a dive 6 years ago and I knew that stuff was deadl. Was fishing a jetty in Anglesea and just barely put the tip of my foot on the rock, I was in the water so fast i had no chance to realize what happend until was swimming back to the rocks, I did not get hurt though, I lucked out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Spikes are a must but they do not keep you glued to the rocks when waves are washing over them. Just ask all the guys that got washed off jetties this past weekend in Monmouth County. They pushed the limits but luckily none of them were hurt.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Korkers really do make a difference.... but they do not replace good common sense.... and everyone who jumps jetties with korkers has still taken a couple good dives or has had close calls (or worse) with big, unexpected washovers that nail you. It is a very dangerous, exciting way to fish ... but unfortunatly nothing replaces experience in doing it safely, and getting that experience can get physically expensive.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Up-date from someone I know who was helped get the guy out of the rocks--huge gash in his face and taken away in an ambulance.

Cman, it was the same jetty where the guys got wash off.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I like looks I get when I am walking out to the south jetty in barnegat light when I am wearing my korkers makes a great fashion statment LOL

A guy I fish with does not use them and I tell him all the time your luck is going to run out I hope not though.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have a pair of metal cleats that I bought for softball last year, find out in the first game that they're illegal. It hit me one day, "hey these would work great on the jetty, and I wore them out and they worked great, I think they might even be safer than corkers.

Before that I fell off the CG jetty, on the inlet side in April 05, busted my knee pretty bad.

[ 07-02-2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: DJ COAST ]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Only a matter of time before they close access to jettys, by barrier or law, TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC. Maybe they will create the safe jetty course and issue a license that will have to be renewed every year with your salt water license.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yep. I learned the hard way once....ONCE......I twisted my knee. The next day I hobbled into my favorite tackle shop and bought a set of korkers. Great investment.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Went out there last year with sneakers on. Thought I had metal golf spikes. As I got to the end of the South Jetty on LBI I was scared for my life. I took my eels to somewhere flat. I now own Korkers and have yet to use them.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
I went through a crevice at the seawall at New York Ave in North Wildwood about 3 years ago in the fall. You don't need korkers there because it is high and dry, but the jetty rock was coming apart at the bend.
I went in with one leg. I twisted myself up pretty good, messing up my hip and lower back.
Thankfully they fixed it recently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.