BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay , so those who fished the opener, what was your bait of choice ? My experience says to avoid gulp with the water temps in the mid 50's. What did you use to catch your keeper .Guarenteed the first keeper to come over the rail will lose his belly for bait on our boat.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
salted fresh bluefish skins with some meat on them.

Squid and minnows did ok as well. Gulp produced mostly shorter sizes for us

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Okay , so those who fished the opener, what was your bait of choice ? My experience says to avoid gulp with the water temps in the mid 50's. What did you use to catch your keeper .Guarenteed the first keeper to come over the rail will lose his belly for bait on our boat.
Been using berkley for a month now.. I think confidence catches fish more then anything? Have only been seeing crabs and shrimp in the bellies and all over the deck...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Gulp for my two keepers of 6 . Had no other bait aboard. But one new color I tried worked better. Have to hold that detail. :)

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always have gulp.and a variety of soft plastics as well, I like bucktails but we'll have company tomorrow and I want a variety of choices, fresh meat always produces for us blues, fluke belly, spots , someone is always fishing fresh stripped bait.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Gulp....yesterday and today fished a total of close to 12 hours, 6 keepers and countless shorts on 3 pieces....no brainer.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plain 3/4 ounce jig head chartuese with spearing produced on 4 lb 23 " fluke no other keepers , buddy fished spearing and squid on a traditional fluke hook rig and all he caught was seaweed.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
minnow on a bucktail and minnow on a bare hook worked equally well

·
Registered
357 Posts
Baby ducks have worked great for me. I make up a harness out of mono. In the early season it works great to let them swim out over the flats all alone and scared. The fluke smell the fear.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Baby ducks have worked great for me. I make up a harness out of mono. In the early season it works great to let them swim out over the flats all alone and scared. The fluke smell the fear.
Great tell the whole world.....i thought the first rule of rubber ducky club was not to talk about ruber ducky club....consider your membership revoked:D

We do equally as well with tried and true squid and minnie on a top and bottom rig, 18" leader on top and 36" leader on bottom.....as gulp on jig heads with jerk shad teasers, its all about fishing something you have confidence in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's really sick ChrisM, which is probably while I'm still laughing!
HAHA. That would be an interesting technique wouldn't it? Ive actually heard that guys used to do that for big bass and trout. As the video below shows, it works (albeit with pike)!

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I was a kid we would fish winter mackeral just to salt and fish the spring fluke in the bay, and manasquan river. Now the bite for mackeral is such a narrow window.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.