BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a bait pen to hang at the boat dock mostly for peanuts and mullet and looking for advice/suggestions. Does anyone have success doing this and will they stay alive in a pen hanging off the boat? What size pen and type? Where to buy also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
we have had a floating pen at our dock for 4 years. made out of heavy plastic mesh similar to the one sold at Absecon bay sportsman center. Fine for killies mullet, not sure about peanuts.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
BUMP !!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have been using a pen at my dock for quite a few years. Spot and mullet seem to do well in it but for some reason peanuts don't survive for me.I know that Capt Harve keeps peanuts in his but for some reason I don't have much luck with them. They just don't seem as hardy as spot or mullet.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Guys in the south do use the extra large pens for the menhaden and it works to some degree. Some guys just use their livewells on the boat overnight using shore power. Mullet and minnows, get a swimming pool, chemical oversized bucket with a lid. Drill many holes in the bucket. Don't leave any jagged edges. This will work fantastic. Cost nothing too. Have used this method forever.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Be careful though. Made the trip down to Absecon Bay a few years ago and then down to CM to the slip. Put the beautiful new pen in the slip. The very next day I came down to the slip to get the pen ready for a load of small herring and- voila- the pen had already been stolen!!! Lost $145.00 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
You also need to watch out for otters. They eat right through the pen. Close the top too or the egrets get in. If it is minnows or mullet, nothing beats the oversized bucket with holes drilled, submerged. Menhaden need the pen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
take a trash can and drill holes throughout the entire thing. attatch one of those swimming pool noodle floats with wire ties to the rim. now you have a great pen with handles too. i guess you could even figure out a way to cover it, however in the last 6 yrs i have never had a problem with the birds. by the way p. bunker do fine in them for days and i hope i never meet the otter that can chew through one of these.

oh yeah the best part is this bait pen is also the best livewell for boats without them. all you need is a second trash can without holes to put the pen in. just make sure when you get your spot the bait gets cleated off in the water again.

[ 07-24-2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: bigFISHbob ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts