BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Hey Steve,

Haven't bass fished for a few years now, but this is what worked for me when I had a bass boat and fished bass alot.

3/8 spinner bait tandom and single blade White or char.
espescially in the spring and in murky or muddy water.

Crankbaits:

Rebel wee-r shad. Slow retrieve. around brush and parrallel to rip rap.
clear to murky water.

Bagleys dkb2 black on char.
Clear toMurky water. medium water depth medium retrieve.

Bagley's db2 char or shad, steep banks. Char in murky, shad in clearer.

Small bombers in rocky river areas, fast retrieve.

Someone told me later in the season baitfish get larger and so should your crank baits, I believe this to be true.

Also, certain baits work on certain lakes, who knows why, but keep a log.

I like all this stuff in the spring and fall.

Buzz baits, hot weather early morning.

My go to bait, not a baitcaster bait, 4" power worm on a slicer head;)

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
427 Posts
steve im new to this ait casting stuff but ill pass on lil knowledge i have and well as long as u follow the lure weight that is stamped on the rod your fine i love bait casting its so much fun idk why it just is and well i like to use spinner baits crank baits anything with weight but i can throuhg some worms with weighted heads on them I also like jigs on a 7,6 med ation bait casting well theres what i no i hope it helps some

tony

·
Registered
445 Posts
Generally the easiest baits to work in the beginning of the baotcaster learning curve are the heavier baits. Your larger crankbaits, spinnerbaits, texas/carolina rigged worms, and bass jigs. You would do better to use your whacky rigged worms, weightless plastics, and smaller cranks on the spinning gear to avoid backlash issues until you are very comfortable with it.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Steve,

I usually set up one baitcaster w/ a spinnerbait or buzzbait..usually either a 3/8 or 1/4oz..sometimes a 5/8oz..That one's usually my BassPro setup.

On my new baitcaster, I have the KingShad setup on it.. Or when it comes time, I'll more than likely use that one for other crankbaits, jerkbaits, that sorta thing until I feel the weather's to my liking to throw worms and bass assassins.

Lastly, I have an Abu rigged solely for jigging and that's all I use it for, pitching a jig.

You can really use anything. Like it was mentioned, bigger, heavier baits are better when you're starting. You won't get as many backlashes because of the heavier bait. Once you feel more confortable w/ it, you can adjust your baitcaster to throw worms & the like. Good luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Basically the only thing you really can't throw with a baitcaster are the light poppers like pop r's:)

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
i'm very partial to the Rapala DT series, differant dive ranges depending on the DT number. DT 5, DT 10 etc. Emarld Shinner color. Smallmouth killers on the Susky. Great baits for a baitcaster, toss one up into a shute and crank it down current into a pool. Whammmo, One of the most productive lures I've ever used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts