BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been covered but I'll ask again because new ideas/products may be available. I will search the old posts to see what has been suggested.

I am almost exclusively a spinning gear fisherman. I want to have one baitcaster setup with me when I fish in freshwater. I was given one as a gift about ten years ago but never got comfortable with it. I want to pay up to $150.00 for the whole setup including line. Is there one length of rod that might work best? What type and #test line? I am open to any brands.

Your opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Dick's sporting goods has a nice baitcasting set up for less than 100.00. It's a Berkley Lightning Rod with an Abu Garcia Silver Max reel. Starting out I believe 6'6" medium to med/heavy should handle a wide variety of lures. I'd stay with 12-14lb mono for now..the bird's nests are easier to get out than braid.

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No, the one sold at Dick's is a Berkley Lightning Rod Custom with Abu Garcia Silver Max. It's 6'6" Medium power. I actually have one in my arsenal. It's a decent all around beginner rod. Casts fine. A fellow RBC member had one and I was jealous. I liked it so much I picked one up immediately next time I went to Dick's.

If you really want a serious baitcaster upgrade to a Abu Garcia Revo S series at least. No one can argue with a Revo.

The new Quantum Accurist PT is very nice too at $99.99

Lots of rods on the market in the $50-80 range right now. Take your pick and have fun. Look for a 6'6" Medium-Medium/Heavy to be your "all around stick."

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I know this topic has been covered but I'll ask again because new ideas/products may be available. I will search the old posts to see what has been suggested.

I am almost exclusively a spinning gear fisherman. I want to have one baitcaster setup with me when I fish in freshwater. I was given one as a gift about ten years ago but never got comfortable with it. I want to pay up to $150.00 for the whole setup including line. Is there one length of rod that might work best? What type and #test line? I am open to any brands.

Your opinions are appreciated.
If you are looking to spend around $150 for everything, I have some new rod and reels that I could hook up and combo for you in that price range. All new gear with tags. Let me know

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks, Thanks for the help. After reading the replies, I am thinking to expand my budget to $200.00. I figure this baitcaster to be my only "go to" setup and may as well get something nice. I'll listen (read?) further opinions on this.

Also, one or 2-piece rod? We travel in the car a lot (Florida, Midwest USA etc.) and when I pack my spinning gear, it is most often my 2 piece setup. The one-piece isn't usually practical for travel. What are the feelings on 1 vs. 2 piece? Can it be that much of a difference?

Amiesl, I won't rule out buying something from you. Let's see how this develops. We are headed out of town next week on a trip that takes us past Cabela's and Bass Pro. My dear wife actually usually insists we stop there for me to "look around". It might be fun to shop in those stores.

Please keep the opinions flowing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Folks, Thanks for the help. After reading the replies, I am thinking to expand my budget to $200.00. I figure this baitcaster to be my only "go to" setup and may as well get something nice. I'll listen (read?) further opinions on this.

Also, one or 2-piece rod? We travel in the car a lot (Florida, Midwest USA etc.) and when I pack my spinning gear, it is most often my 2 piece setup. The one-piece isn't usually practical for travel. What are the feelings on 1 vs. 2 piece? Can it be that much of a difference?

Amiesl, I won't rule out buying something from you. Let's see how this develops. We are headed out of town next week on a trip that takes us past Cabela's and Bass Pro. My dear wife actually usually insists we stop there for me to "look around". It might be fun to shop in those stores.

Please keep the opinions flowing. Thanks.
A 1 piece rod is much much better than a 2 piece in regards to sensitivity and confidence in performance. Countless times I've thrown the top section off my flyrod or old spinning rods. I've gone completely to 1 piece rods.

Think of it like a sword vs a nunchuck. Odds are when you swing that nunchuck it's going to come back and crack you right across the forehead. LOL. :).

Stupid analogy aside I'd recommend a 1 piece if you are serious about getting a baitcast set up.

Again the Revo line is a great series of reels. The SX model is an elite reel. You don't need to break the bank on a STX, Premier, or Skeet Reese model.

As for rods pick a manufacturer that you like and grab their 6'6" medium or medium heavy offering. St. Croix, Fenwick, Quantum, Daiwa, Powell, Airrus, Abu Garcia, and Falcon all make some great rods. Even the BPS rods or Cabela's rods aren't bad. They're heavier than some of the name brands but they are very durable.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sound good Rich. Let me know if you are interested and have fun 2 Cabela'a and BPS

·
Registered
671 Posts
You'll start w/1 baitcaster, but about this time next year you'll have about a half dozen if not more...and they'll all be your "go to" rods for different applications/techniques :D
Right you are! I'm afraid to count the number of rods and reels that I have and I keep finding reasons why I "need" more. Getting back into freshwater is my latest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dick's sporting goods has a nice baitcasting set up for less than 100.00. It's a Berkley Lightning Rod with an Abu Garcia Silver Max reel. Starting out I believe 6'6" medium to med/heavy should handle a wide variety of lures. I'd stay with 12-14lb mono for now..the bird's nests are easier to get out than braid.

Couldn't agree wt. you more!:thumbsup: My wife got my first baitcast set up from Dick's this xmas but a Quantum reel n Berkley rod. I go wt 12 lb mono too. I fished it this MLK day along banks of Salem Canal. No takers but It was still a great time. Don't see much post on quantum gear but I love it, just call's it like I see's it. Besides, KVD dosen't do to bad wt it.:D

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

Couldn't agree wt. you more!:thumbsup: My wife got my first baitcast set up from Dick's this xmas but a Quantum reel n Berkley rod. I go wt 12 lb mono too. I fished it this MLK day along banks of Salem Canal. No takers but It was still a great time. Don't see much post on quantum gear but I love it, just call's it like I see's it. Besides, KVD dosen't do to bad wt it.:D
Regarding Quantum, I almost bought KVD's baitcaster that came out 2 years ago but I got the KVD 40 spinning reel instead. Great reel for sure. I don't have any of their baitcastesr however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.