BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this 4 inch specimen at the dock last weekend. The herring (blueback, alewife) and shad (american, gizzard, hickory) YOY (young of the year) species are all leaving the back waters and getting ready to enter the ocean, some making the run south, others hanging in some of the deep water spots of the bay and nearby ocean. Who wants to identify which of the above species this specimen represents:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey Harve, my vote is for a herring because the body doesn't look deep enough to be a shad. At first glance I thought a blueback but the eyes look too large so I guess I'll say alewife.Whichever one it is, it looks like it would be good impaled on my hook.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
This fish has a protruding lower jaw. It's a blueback herring or alewife. Blueback herring and alewife are similar in appearance. Although a blueback's eye is smaller on >6" specimens, the only sure way to tell the difference is to open the body cavity. The lining of the visceral cavity of a blueback will be dark while an alewife's is pale. My vote is for the blueback.

[ 09-22-2005, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: maine_sport ]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've snag hooked a similar looking fish a couple of miles offshore and the ones I've gotten had a long threadlike fin eminating from the posterior of the dorsal fin and the top of their backs was a very pretty blue/green color. Capt Harv , did you happen to notice a threadlike fin on that fish? The schools I snagged them from were making the water nervous on the surface but the water appeared different than what menhaden make the water appearlike.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Capt.Harv,,

Cool Shot, Its just amazing what you might find when tossing a cast net into the backbays during the late summer and early fall..
One year we were cast netting some mullet and found baby barracuda...

Herring or Shad, It looks tasty..

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Neat catch Capt Harv
Hey Nightstrikes are you sure that was baby barracuda, could have been a Northern Sennet we catch a couple in the marina every summer, real neat fish little cousin of barracuda. I think Chunking has some in his tank, he's be the expert.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Chuck,

Could of been, this was years ago and late at night.. I'm known for seeing strange things at night.. :D

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
I have caught them on sabiki's this summer in Manasquan Inlet while fishing for snappers. Herring of some sort, but I'm not sure which type.

As far as baracuda go, we also caught this on sabiki's behind Shark River Inlet.

Is it a Cuda?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
According to McClane's Fishing Encyclopedia that is a Northern Sennett. The first one we saw was 3 years ago, my wife and I we're snapper blue fishing in the marina, and the line started screamin, I thought I had nice little striper, and up came this crazy fish. The last couple years we've seen more, they hang under the docks like barracuda and dart out to kill shiners.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.