BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine took his boat out for a sea trial saturday morning early. They left keyport Marine Basin and saw fish breaking the water. Anyone Know what kind of bait this could be? I'm thinking Spearing...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
baitfish

Letsgo, could be bunker.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Herring mostly. Have you seen how many seals have been in the bay this year. They counted 81 the other day on skull island off sandy hook.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You might be seeing Hudson River Striped Bass hitting bait. The water, so far has not gotten cold enough to drive the striped bass and bait into their wintering grounds. A large number of striped bass usually spend 6 to 10 weeks laid up in a deep Channel trench up the Hudson River, below Bear Mtn. Bridge and haverstraw. A couple of hundred thousand bass usually school up by size and ride out the winter in the 300 foot deep trench. Sort of a hibernation mode. I caught two striped bass at the Coast Guard Beach in Monmouth Beach about two weeks ago on a sand ell pattern fly.

I grew up in that stretch of the Hudson River and when there were years when we had a January or February thaw, we use to got to Croton Point and catch striped bass on the south side flats with silver spoons. o\Over the past decade it has been a regulare kayakers fishing shot if the water is above 42 degrees.

When the tide drops the muddy bottom heats up and the bait starts moving around and it attracts striped bass from the trench and they cruise the falts during daylight hours looking for a snack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts