Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[ 06-19-2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: DJ COAST ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
DJ Coast ,
I thought the new initiative of the boater safety course was supposed to make everyone safe boaters and give them knowledge of the rules of the road , what a joke !!, there are so many idiots out there its amazing there aren`t more mishaps and deaths on our waterways , you guys have a tough and dangerous job and having to deal with the knuckleheads on top of it must make you furious , I feel for ya brother, take care and stay safe. God Bless you guys.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
DJ COAST,
I hear you man thats some pretty unnerving stuff. Fishing at night sometimes is the only way to get away from the madness. They shoudn't need to see the the Ball diamond Ball, Look at your equipment! Channel markers are only good for boaters who actually use them like the ones who go at night. It may seem thankless but your work is apprieciated when I'm stuck in heavy weather at night and my eyes are glued for the next marker.

[ 06-16-2006, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: insomniac ]

·
Registered
604 Posts
DJ,

Nice pics laddie, much appreciated. The new boating 'safety" courses are too short and probably too easy too. Getting folks to stay in the channel cause they now know there are markers may be the high point. Nav rules with shapes and lights is unfortunantly beyond the scope of such classes.

While it smacks against true seamanship, it might be better for the crews to post big signs that say "No Wake" with a bunch of police car lights flashing and sirens screaming. That MIGHT work.

"No wakes" cones placed near the operation MIGHT help.

I've seen you post this subject before and I wonder why the USCG does not have a " chase car" eraaah "boat" stand by your operation. Too costly? Lord, we have a bunch of recruits at Cape May.

I've been on the water for about 50 years. I give way to all other boats. I have come to beleive that many boaters AIM at me. Maybe I have a target painted on my bow? Gotta check that.

Bottom line is that you fellas are doing a great service not only here, but world over.
Keep venting, GOD Bless.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas, the funniest part is, when we work these aids we are actually attached to and become part of the aid, whether we are on a buoy or a light....and they still don't even see us. You got to see these people when they blow right by, we can't even get their attention. I know if I was out there in a boat and seen a big black boat with an orange stripe lifting a buoy out of the water it would get my attention. I would actually think its a cool site and would want to check it out for a while, but these people seriously don't even see us, its kinda scary knowing that there are so many boaters out there that are driving with "tunnel vision" zoned out in their own little world... Be careful fellas....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Common sense, unfortunately cannot be taught in any class. You either have it or you don't. I am not the smartest guy in the world by any means and I have and will still make mistakes while on the water. I do however, keep a sharp lookout, I know the rules and know to steer early and deliberately to let a boat coming at me head on that I see him and taking action to avoid him. It only works about half of the time. That is sad. DJ Coast. I always slow down for guys working on the water. I love being out there, but appreciate having the choice of where and when to go out. You guys make a living out there, as do crabbers and other commercial guys do. I cannot fathom (no pun intended) some a-hole waking you guys. I bet alot of them see you and just don't care. Sure, if you are in a small boat and planing, the wake isn't huge, but it is a wake nonetheless. Be safe out there, man.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
DJ COAST...I work for T.B.U.S and I can tell you we go get calls from alot of idiots , however I know where you come from, and would trade it all if people would just SLOW DOWN when im in tow. Ball dimond ball...flashing tow lights...its doesnt matter...people are idiots.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
would not take that many "ChaseBoat Stops" $$$$$$$$$ before the word was put out to watch your wake or $$$$$

Zoned out was the right phrase "rolled zone"or "canned zone" thats part of the problem

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
While it makes me ashamed to be part of the human race somedays....so many boaters just boat too infrequently and without any proper guidence to know better.

I'm with you...but I've taught enough new skippers to realize no matter how often I get pissed and bruise my ribs on someones thoughtleess wake...they really didn't even know it was coming....

Clueless is the best word to describe most boaters...shame...but true...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts