BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no more solemn duty for an American commander-in-chief than the marshalling of “every element of our national power” – the phrase Obama himself used on Monday – to protect the people of the United States. In that key respect, Obama failed on Christmas Day, just as President George W. Bush failed on September 11th (though he succeeded in the seven years after that).
Yes, the buck stops in the Oval Office. Obama may have rather smugly given himself a “B+” for his 2009 performance but he gets an F for the events that led to Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab boarding a Detroit-bound plane in Amsterdam with a PETN bomb sewn into his underpants. He said today that a “systemic failure has occurred”. Well, he’s in charge of that system.
The picture we’re getting is more and more alarming by the hour. Here are some key elements to consider:

1. Abdulmutallab’s father spoke several times to the US Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria and visited a CIA officer there to tell him, apparently, that he feared his son was a jihadist being trained in Yemen. According to CNN, the CIA officer wrote up a report, which then sat in the CIA headquarters at Langley for several weeks without being disseminated to the rest of the intelligence community. This was not just a casual encounter. Again according to CNN, there were at least two face-to-face meetings, telephone calls and written correspondence with the father. If it’s true that the CIA sat on this then it beggars belief.

2. After 9/11, the huge bureaucracies of the Homeland Security Department and the Directorate of National Intelligence (DNI) were created. Inside the DNI, the National Counter Terrorism Center was created. These organisations were created to “connect the dots”. It may well be that the fault lay with NCTC and not the CIA – CIA spokesman George Little says here that “key biographical information” and information about “possible extremist connections in Yemen” was passed to NCTC. If NCTC knew about it, then did someone at the National Security Council within the White House? There’s a huge blame game beginning so we’ll no doubt know soon enough.

3. It wasn’t just the meeting with the father. According to CBS, “as early as August of 2009 the Central Intelligence Agency was picking up information on a person of interest dubbed ‘The Nigerian’ suspected of meeting with ‘terrorist elements’ in Yemen”. So there were other parts of the jigsaw that were not put together.

4. In his studied desire to be the unBush by responding coolly to events like this, Obama is dangerously close to failing as a leader. Yes, it is good not to shoot from the hip and make broad assertions without the facts. But Obama took three days before speaking to the American people, emerging on Monday in between golf and tennis games in Hawaii to deliver a rather tepid address that significantly underplayed what happened. He described Abdulmutallab as an “isolated extremist” who “allegedly tried to ignite an explosive device on his body” – phrases that indicate a legalistic, downplaying approach that alarms rather than reassures. Today’s words showed a lot more fire and desire to get on top of things – we’ll see whether Obama follows through with action. In the meantime, he went snorkelling.

5. There has been a pattern developing with the Obama administration trying to minimise terrorist attacks. We saw it with Abdul Hakim Mujahid Muhammad, a Muslim convert who murdered a US Army recruit in Little Rock, Arkansas in June. We saw it with Major Nidal Malik Hassan, a Muslim with Palestinian roots who slaughtered 13 at Fort Hood, Texas last month. In both cases, there were Yemen connections. Obama began to take the same approach with Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab. We’ll see whether this incident shakes him out of that complacency. Whether it’s called the war on terror or not, it’s clear that the US is at war against al-Qaeda and radical Islamists.

6. Guantanamo Bay. It seems that two of the Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) planners behind this attack were released from Guantanamo Bay during the Bush administration. That calls into question the competence of Bush administration officials but also the wisdom of closing Guantanamo Bay. How many other enemies of America and the West are going to be released back to the battlefield? As Mike Goldfarb asks: “Is the Obama administration seriously still considering sending some 90 Yemeni detainees now being held at Gitmo back to their country of origin, where al Qaeda are apparently running around with impunity?”

7. Janet Napolitano, Obama’s Homeland Security Chief, has been a disaster in this, exhibiting the kind of bureaucratic complacency that makes ordinary citizens want to go postal. On Sunday, she told CNN that “one thing I’d like to point out is that the system worked” and ABC News that “once the incident occurred, the system worked”. A day later, she grumbled that quoted “out of context” before reversing herself, telling NBC: “Our system did not work in this instance. No one is happy or satisfied with that. An extensive review is under way.” The “system worked” comment was a “heckuva job, Brownie” moment. Is she up to the job?

8. Will Obama hold individuals accountable? Briefing the press today behind a cloak of anonymity as a “Senior Administration Official”, Denis McDonough, NSC chief of staff (he gave the game away by saying he was from Minnesota), said that Obama “intends to demand accountability at the highest levels” before adding: ” It remains to be seen what that means exactly.” If heads don’t roll – and soon – then Obama’s words will seem hollow. It’s an opportunity for him to show some real steel.

9. There’s a continued, unfortunate tendency for everyone in Obamaland to preface every comment about something going wrong with a sideswipe against the Bush administration. On Sunday, Bill Burton, Deputy White House Press Secretary, briefed: “On the Sunday shows, Robert Gibbs and Secretary Napolitano made clear that we are pressing ahead with securing our nation against threats and our aggressive posture in the war with al Qaeda. We are winding down a war in Iraq that took our eye off of the terrorists that attacked us, and have dramatically increased our resources in Afghanistan and Pakistan where those terrorists are.” Why pat yourself on the back for “winding down a war in Iraq that took our eye off of the terrorists that attacked us” when the issue at hand is why the US government under Obama, er, took its eyes off a terrorist who did try to attack us and nearly killed 300 people? It’s bordering on the juvenile. Obama’s been president for a year now. It’s time for him to accept that things that happen as his responsibility, not Bush’s. It’s time for him to echo Ronald Reagan, who said over Iran-Contra: “I take full responsibility for my own actions and for those of my administration.”

10. Will there be US air attacks against targets in Yemen? Watch this space. It’s safe to say that Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula or AQAP, described to me by a senior intelligence official today as “officially recognised and in corporate terms a sanctioned franchise of al-Qaeda” that is plainly now seeking to become an international rather than just a regional Islamist player.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Are you telling me the system that has been in place and presumed ideal was flawed. No wait a minute. Can't be the king of all kings put that in place and he kept us all safe.

All kidding aside, every procedure put in place should be reviewed, questioned about its virility and effectiveness at a specific time frame. Something like no toe clippers, or tweezers are jokes, but lets let pens and pencils on board. Taking shoes off has been found to be useless but air puff machines to detect explosives have not been used on every passenger. 50% of all packages in the belly are only screened.

Somewhere along the way the game has to be changed as to what is a key item to look for and what is not. In the near past water bottles are the big item on their mind and it has become so one point of view that other items are not reviewed.

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you telling me the system that has been in place and presumed ideal was flawed. No wait a minute. Can't be the king of all kings put that in place and he kept us all safe.

All kidding aside, every procedure put in place should be reviewed, questioned about its virility and effectiveness at a specific time frame. Something like no toe clippers, or tweezers are jokes, but lets let pens and pencils on board. Taking shoes off has been found to be useless but air puff machines to detect explosives have not been used on every passenger. 50% of all packages in the belly are only screened.

Somewhere along the way the game has to be changed as to what is a key item to look for and what is not. In the near past water bottles are the big item on their mind and it has become so one point of view that other items are not reviewed.
You don't work in national security but let me ask you this. If someone’s father called you and told you that his own son was acting in an extreme way would it not be a good idea to at least look into it?
No Excuses, Obama and his team had the info; they chose not to use it.

The real problem is his lack of desire to take these issues seriously.
In the last 8 months we have had three separate terrorists’ attacks within the US. When is enough enough???

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
You don't work in national security but let me ask you this. If someone’s father called you and told you that his own son was acting in an extreme way would it not be a good idea to at least look into it?
No Excuses, Obama and his team had the info; they chose not to use it.

The real problem is his lack of desire to take these issues seriously.
In the last 8 months we have had three separate terrorists’ attacks within the US. When is enough enough???

You realy beleive he knew and did nothing?:nuts: I guess you also beleive that GWB knew about 9/11 also and let it happen. Come on Joe use your head....99.9% of the inteligence community is exactely the same as GWB.

I have no problem roasting someone when it is warrented but this is a stretch to blame Obama.

·
Banned
7,632 Posts
he's only been in office for a year, whats in store for the next 7??????

·
Banned
7,632 Posts
You realy beleive he knew and did nothing?:nuts: I guess you also beleive that GWB knew also and let it happen. Come on Joe use your head....99.9% of the inteligence community is exactely the same as GWB.

I have no problem roasting someone when it is warrented but this is a stretch to blame Obama.
no he is to blame, he is the one who put Napolitiano in charge.......she is an idiot!!:nuts::nuts:

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
no he is to blame, he is the one who put Napolitiano in charge.......she is an idiot!!:nuts::nuts:

If anyone is to blame it is the CIA for sitting on the information. Once they get the information they need to share it. This way Visas can be pulled and then theses idiots would be put on no fly lists as well.

I have a buddy who works for the justice department and was talking to him. There are 100's to 1000's of the same exact tips and leads that come weekly to all of the different agencys.

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You realy beleive he knew and did nothing?:nuts: I guess you also beleive that GWB knew about 9/11 also and let it happen. Come on Joe use your head....99.9% of the inteligence community is exactely the same as GWB.

I don't care if he knew or not... someone knew and chose not to red flag this. Reason is easy to see, Obama does not want to hurt feeings. This issue is going to get worse. People will die in this country. Rest assured that will happen. He is soft on terrorism. That's not an opinion, thats a fact. He has been in office a year. When can we beging to hold him accountable :nuts:

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone is to blame it is the CIA for sitting on the information. Once they get the information they need to share it. This way Visas can be pulled and then theses idiots would be put on no fly lists as well.

I have a buddy who works for the justice department and was talking to him. There are 100's to 1000's of the same exact tips and leads that come weekly to all of the different agencys.
Did you read the article? Or just the title?
Post 9/11 EVERY threat must be taken seriously. There is no room to say oh we get 1000 tips a day we can't trace them all :nuts:
Are you kidding?????
He wanted this job and knew what was intailed post 9/11. Now he is closing Guantanamo.????

Why was this terrorist given an attorney?? WHY????
PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER THIS.... NA. Not gonna happen.. I know better

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
I don't care if he knew or not... someone knew and chose not to red flag this. WOW you got some conspiracy goin on there! Reason is easy to see, Obama does not want to hurt feeings. I think he comes off soft but that is his demenor. How soft I have no idea. This issue is going to get worse. People will die in this country. Crystal Ball? Rest assured that will happen. He is soft on terrorism. What makes him soft on terrorism? I know he wants to try detainees in Federal Court....and I don't agree with it! That's not an opinion, thats a fact. He has been in office a year. When can we beging to hold him accountable GWB accountable to you? Again what is he accountable for and why? He must be held accountable but I can't see how this is his fault. :nuts:
I did feel safer with GWB so I agree with you there but I just can't blame Obama. If you can you must be able to blame GWB for all the other terror plots against Americans here and abroad.

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did feel safer with GWB so I agree with you there but I just can't blame Obama. If you can you must be able to blame GWB for all the other terror plots against Americans here and abroad.
READ THE ARTICLE... or to summarize
Closing Guantanamo
Terrorists getting Miranda rights????????????????????????
Removing "war on terror" language
Apologizing for the ills of America
Calling the terrorists acts on Christmas "Alleged"
Refusing to say "Muslim" when referring to Muslim terrorists.

What else do you need?? Maybe if he came out and said "yea I am soft on these guys" then you would believe it?

I don't know maybe I am a nut?

Oh and the crystal ball? Don't need one. 3 attacks in 9 months and little or no response tells me that there will be more. Then again maybe I am just paranoid

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Did you read the article? Or just the title? Yes I did Joe....you ever read any other news that is unbiased. BBC maybe?
Post 9/11 EVERY threat must be taken seriously. There is no room to say oh we get 1000 tips a day we can't trace them all That is straight from a senor agent of the FBI. That is the way it is weather you like it or not....its a big big world out there with a lot happening :nuts:
Are you kidding?????
He wanted this job and knew what was intailed post 9/11. Now he is closing Guantanamo.???? Let me let you in on a secret.... Gitmo will never close. He is full of it for even saying it during and after the elcetion. There is no where to house these guys and some are way to dangerous to get let out. If it closes it will be a mistake but I can't see it ever happening.

Why was this terrorist given an attorney?? WHY???? Why don't you give the US attorney a call in that state. That is who gave this guy an attorney. He commited a crime in the US on a plane...I'm not a lawyer. I know email Muldoon he may know.
PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER THIS.... NA. Not gonna happen.. I know better

I have never ever in Histroy read or watched anyone get blamed as much as Obama for everything. I thought GWB had it bad...with crazy accusations.

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Do you think Bush would have given him a lawyer?

Yes I do because these guys were given lawyers and tried in Federal Court.

Zaccarias Moussaoui (9/11)

Richard Reid (shoe bomber)

For the record I would have shot the son of ***** in the plane or on the tarmac. World would be a better place and you could be drinking crown and not arguing with me on the Barn.:D

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I do because these guys were given lawyers and tried in Federal Court.

Zaccarias Moussaoui (9/11)

Richard Reid (shoe bomber)

For the record I would have shot the son of ***** in the plane or on the tarmac. World would be a better place and you could be drinking crown and not arguing with me on the Barn.:D
I have not even poured a drink yet :D

BTW those guys got lawyers months after they were "cleaned" of info.
Your boy BHO is soft on terrorists. We all know it :D
Just hope no one in "my" family dies at the hands of these scumbags.
I'm tired of trying to convince people that BHO is weak on this issue. If his actions are not enough to prove he is weak, I can't understand what people need to see. Good Bye:wave:

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
I have not even poured a drink yet :D

BTW those guys got lawyers months after they were "cleaned" of info.
Your boy BHO is soft on terrorists. We all know it :D
Just hope no one in "my" family dies at the hands of these scumbags.
I'm tired of trying to convince people that BHO is weak on this issue. If his actions are not enough to prove he is weak, I can't understand what people need to see. Good Bye:wave:

Not my boy....no way. I just try to be fair in looking at things.

Told you before...felt safer with GWB and his father.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
What the U.S. needs to do is to initiate a swift and decisive system to decide the fate for those who try and or succeed in bringing harm(terrorize) innocent people. The suspect(s) in question should be incarcerated. A military tribunal should decide the fate of the individual(s).
No press. John Q. Public only knows that he(they) are/is in the hands of the Military. No longer a threat. Period.
Only the OUTCOME of the tribunal should be made public. Nothing else.
If there are questions as to the presented allegations then due process shall proceed in the shortest of time frames. These are, in fact, people who may want to kill you and many have no problems telling anyone that they want to kill US citizens or die trying. Or they are falsely accused. (trying to detonate a smuggled, self made explosive device on an airplane would lead one to believe that the suspect had ill intentions for those on board should make a tribunals decision reasonably EZ)
Results made public. For Ex: Executed 12/29/2009 or released after interrogation 12/29/2009.

Too many people taking shots at my people.
I say it's time to put up.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
READ THE ARTICLE... or to summarize
I don't know maybe I am a nut?

. Then again maybe I am just paranoid
I used to think you were fairly rational, but lately, it looks like your hatred for Obama has you netting fish that aren't there, or ones you want to be there. From the outside, it deminishes your justifiable posts. Just my honest opinion BT.

I don't care who is president, terrorists will always be looking for ways to get through our security measures. It's hard to completely stop people who are willing to blow themselves up for their cause.

·
Registered
39,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used to think you were fairly rational, but lately, it looks like your hatred for Obama has you netting fish that aren't there, or ones you want to be there. From the outside, it deminishes your justifiable posts. Just my honest opinion BT.

I don't care who is president, terrorists will always be looking for ways to get through our security measures. It's hard to completely stop people who are willing to blow themselves up for their cause.
To be honest I could care less what you think of me.
If you think that our POTUS is being strong enough on terrorists then we disagree 100%.
It's that simple its not personal as you would like it to be. Either you think his policies are strong enough or they are not. Which is it?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts