BASS BARN banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question regarding lower end units. I have a 2001 mercury 125 and when we bought it, the stainless prop was dinged a little bit. We had a mechanic go over the boat and he did notice the drive shaft was bent a little bit. We just took the boat to local boat dealer and they indicated that it was bent .020 runout (?). They want to rebuild the whole lower unit because of this. Is this necessary? When the mechanic went over the whole engine and lower unit, he said that the shaft would have be replaced at some point but that we could still run the boat as is. There were no metal shavings in the lower end plug when we changed it recently. Can't we just replace the shaft and avoid total rebuild? We told them not to do it and that I want a second opinion on the situation. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I am guessing you talking about the propshaft. The drive shaft is the shaft that goes to the crankshaft. If the stainless prop was dinged and the propshaft is bent then you could have stress fractured a gear. There is now way of knowing this untill the gear lets loose. It could be next week or it could be 5 years from now. Yes you could get away with just replacing the shaft for now. You could run into a issue later on. If they are replacing the shaft they already have the gearcase tore down. That would be the time to replace the gears if you have the extra $$. Its a hard call to make.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts