BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We out fluking on barnegat bay. Had a great day catching fluke. largest was 25” and 5.4lbs. White gulp and bucktails. Incoming water was 58.6. Bite shut down when cold water came in on dead high.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
While working, I put a quick limit together in double creek. First fish went 23.75. Took about 25 other fish to find the other two "stupid slot" fish. Good bite. The larger fish have been keyed in on larger baits. The 5 inch gulp grubs have been producing really well. If you have access to purchase or net your own spearing, it isn't difficult to catch 25-30 fish on the right stage of the tide in 90 minutes. Match the hatch. Waiting patiently for the peanuts to grow.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
While working, I put a quick limit together in double creek. First fish went 23.75. Took about 25 other fish to find the other two "stupid slot" fish. Good bite. The larger fish have been keyed in on larger baits. The 5 inch gulp grubs have been producing really well. If you have access to purchase or net your own spearing, it isn't difficult to catch 25-30 fish on the right stage of the tide in 90 minutes. Match the hatch. Waiting patiently for the peanuts to grow.

Tight lines!
Peanuts seem smaller this year? I was looking at pics from last july 4th in the fish light and they were twice the size they are this year.

Yet the spearing seem bigger. I'm struggling to catch spearing small enough to feed the baby flounder in my fish tank.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Peanuts seem smaller this year? I was looking at pics from last july 4th in the fish light and they were twice the size they are this year.

Yet the spearing seem bigger. I'm struggling to catch spearing small enough to feed the baby flounder in my fish tank.
Yea, I've noticed that almost everything seems to be a bit behind this year. The peanuts around me aren't even worth messing with yet. Looks like another month or more. The spearing this year have been choking up the waterways. I've had some sein net hauls of jumbo 4.5 inch ones, only to find 2 inches the next day. The blues and bass have been absolutely gorging along the sedges every evening. Been fun to play with if I'm not wiped out from work.

You ever feed the fish tank creatures grass shrimp? A buddy of mine switched over to them as a primary fish feed because apparently the carnage doesn't dirty up the water as much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts