BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone fishing the sod banks or sandbars in oyster or double creek or even towards the inlet? have not tryed yet this year but thinking or giving it a shot. any reports would be great

·
Registered
673 Posts
Fished sunday on incoming late afternoon at mouth of oyster creek and had fluke on every drift. Lots of shorts, managed 4 nice keepers in about 2 hours of fishing. Used bucktails with minnows and gulp.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here's the weekly fishing report from Fisherman's Headquarters =
--------------------------------------------------------------
Current Fishing Report (
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 28, 2006
12:00 Noon
Sorry, nothing very positive to report on Stripers. Fluke and Kingfish are still the main report for the front beach. In the bay, good Fluking reports from Barnegat Inlet all the way into Barnegat Bay. The Weakfish are mostly small but providing plenty of action from Meyer's Hole, through Oyster Creek and right into areas between 42 and BI. Anglers shrimping have been doing very well. If your drifting a Gulp, just keep it near the bottom and no jigging seems to be necessary.
Received: Friday, July 28, 2006 9:25 AM Subject: Reel Fantasea fishing report
Thursday evening, I had Steve Amato from Viking Yachts out for a few hour on a weakfishing trip. With the strong SW winds and impending thunder storm we had only a small window of opportunity to fish. Well we found the fish ready and willing to bite. We had a nice mix of weaks, blues, and hickory shad [jersey tarpon]. By trips end the lightening became more vivid on the horizon so we headed in satisfied with our catch. Capt Steve Purul - Reel Fantasea
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 27, 2006
Received: Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:18 PM Subject: Reel Fantasea fishing report
I had my daughter Cali out on Barnegat Bay for some shrimping on Thursday morning and we had some beautiful weakfish action both in size and quantity. This is fishing at it's simplest; a hooked shrimp floated under a bobber. What a great way to spend some quality time with your family. Anyway we had fish to 4 lbs and the bigger ones were absolutely filled with baby fluke. Capt Steve Purul - Reel Fantasea

July 25, 2006
12:00 Noon Stripers up to 44" last night on clams and bunker in Ship Bottom. Still Kingfish and Fluke in the surf. High water tonight at around 9 PM. Plus, New Moon tonight! The odds should be good tonight.

Received: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:18 PM Subject: Hi Flier Fishing Report

Thursday, I had Howard White of Newtown, PA and his steady fishing partner Larry Cotton of Trenton and they "smoked" the weakies in Meyers Hole. We chummed with live grass shrimp while Howard and Larry connected with 21 weakies between 15 and 23 inches, 2 to 3 pound fish. Howard also added an 18 1/2 inch fluke that nailed a shad dart tipped with shrimp he was retrieving through the slick.
Friday, I had Steve Ondrof, Billy, Joey, and Anthony Papa, as well as my two "meatballs" Nicholas and Maxwell DeGennaro for a crew trip back to Meyers Hole that saw over 30 weakies in the 2 to 3 pound class, a 16-1/2” fluke and a bunch of hickory shad. Joey Papa was high hook.
Saturday, I had Don Cameron of Stirling, NJ on board to compete in the Lacey Elks Fishing Tournament with fluke, weakfish, and bluefish making up the eligible species. It was too rough to fish the ocean, so we stayed in the bay and concentrated on weakfish where Don boated a 2.64 pounder that was good enough for 2nd place honors, a handsome trophy and 500 bucks! That was the reward for 10 hours of torrential downpour, thunder, and lightning so close we had six onboard meetings to discuss whether to stay or go. We stayed. In all we boated two dozen weakies and some hickory shad.
Sunday, I had John & Mike Greeley and Jimmy Cafey from Hunterdon County. They boated 13 weakies, two keeper fluke of 17 and 18 inches, a 14 inch kingfish, and a bunch of hickory shad. Everything was caught on shrimp at Meyers Hole, except the kingfish, we caught on the west side of the bay by BI Buoy.
The shrimping is hot right now and I look forward to it getting hotter. Also, there is lots of bonita at Barnegat Ridge and we’ll be running there for those as well as mahi mahi, bluefin, and albacore. Capt. Dave DeGennaro - Hi Flier

Received: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:35 AM Subject: North end fishing
Fished Sunday 7/23/06 from 4:pM to 9:00PM at the North end of LBI by boat; 1-keeper fluke, 1-keeper weakie, and blue fishing.
Fished Monday 7/24/06 from 9:30AM to 2:00PM at the North end of LBI around the lighthouse. 3 guys in the boat 40+ fluke of which 16 were keepers 17" to 23" nice fish. Very few sea robins, a couple of blues.
...Great days on the water! Rich

Received: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:35 AM Subject: Reel Fantasea fishing report
Monday night I had, soon to be wed, Russel Coleman out with best man and brother Ryan Coleman for a back bay trip that was a little slow to start. As soon as the tide started rolling in, the action did too. Both guys had a blast catching their share of blues, but we also had fluke, weakfish and small stripers. We were one weakfish shy of 2 Barnegat Bay Grand Slams [weakfish, striper, blue, fluke] for both brothers. The SW wind made the drift extremely swift [wind and current in the same direction at times] which messed with some of my areas that I wanted to cover but we managed a "reel" fun night just the same. Best wishes for the wedding, honeymoon and your marriage hope to see these guys back soon their enthusiasm was awesome! Capt Steve Purul-Reel Fantasea Charters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts