BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever make the run from the Barnegat area down to Ocean City inside? We are trying to get our Whaler home, and it looks like another snotty weather day on Saturday (NE 20ish mph). I would like to run outside just not sure what Barnegat Inlet is going to look like with a NE wind at 20.

[ 04-07-2005, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: jjn3 ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have made the trip from Great Bay to Strathmere a few times. There are few areas aroung Margate that are pretty shallow at the bottom of the tide. All in all it is not a bad trip. I have never had my boat north of West Creek which is a few miles south of the LBI bridge so I can help you there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would wait for a nice day. The channels are poorly marked and in some spots very shallow, local knowledge is necessary or an extreme high tide. The run is also quite slow it will take a good part of the day.

Behind Margate and parts of AC are very shallow. Also there is a sand bar around 17th/18th street in OC if you miss the channel.
lol

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Did it two years ago in a 25' tank Jersey type boat . Take you time and enjoy the scenery . Took us over three hours , boat cruises at 13 knots .

[ 04-07-2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: DaPlumber ]

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I came down from Surf City to Strathmere couple of years ago. It was a nice but somewhat slow ride.
There are some shallow spots but if you stay in ICW should not have a problem.
I would never try Barneget Inlet and make the run in a NE wind
Start out 2 hours before high tide and you should have no problem

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback all. Looks like the weather pattern we are in is timed to make a mess of weekends; waiting for Sunday wont help much this weekend anyway, so we are going to go with the inside run. High tide is at about 9:00am; we are leaving the marina in Lanoka Harbor at 8:30am, so hopefully we can get most of the way with decent water below us.

Capt. ****, the sandbar you are talking about; is that the one at shooting island; ICW markers 260 thru 266?

Once we get past OC I am good with the rest of the run; we have been up and down Sea Isle a few times to have dinner at the Deauville
and that is one ugly channel hehe.

John

[ 04-08-2005, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: jjn3 ]

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
The coasties were resetting the cans behind Longport Wednesday, but none were in Ships Channel when I blew thru it earlier that day... I think it is kind of hit and miss for at least the next couple weeks with the markers....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.