BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this year im most likely putting my boat (22ft cc) in at viking and will be fishing out of little egg inlet...my goal this year having it be my 2nd year of offshore fishing is to put some mahi in the box this summer and maybe a bft ....should i just throw a few extra bucks into the season and put her down in cape may or do i have a good shot at mahi at the ridge this summer?:confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
i don't have much experience offshore fishing , this past summer we ran out about 15 miles out of LEI and found mahi near the ac pots.. we were chumming for sharks and a school of chickens surrounded the boat. my cousins were trolling the area the same day a picked up a few nicer fish on feathers.. iam hoping they return again this summer!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
At Barnegat Ridge it all depends on if the blue water stays around. Last year we had a short stretch of nice water. We trolled up a large mahi and some skippies and Bonita. A week later we went back and couldn't find blue water. It was green and dirty out to the fingers where it started to clean up, but no life...
Hopefully this year will be better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you know of any other common spots for them out of little egg inlet or ac inlet? im not comfortable enough yet heading out more than 20 miles or so offshore...only other place i heard about seeing them around there is by the lobster pots off ac:huh:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I dont think you need to go that far off for mahi I have caught them while fishing for fluke I think the key is water temp and color if you have good water and find some debirs floating you will find some mahi under it. Yes most of the time water is better offshore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome to the BB

You'll have a pretty good shot for Mahi once the warmer water comes in around the east end of the AC reef to the ac pots. It's a 13 mile run vs 23 miles to the ridge plus a lot of great structure on it should you decide to switch to bottom fishing.

Also its to the south east so in the afternoon once that summer south west blow kicks up its a following sea on the trip in.

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
Inshore mahi is a total crap shoot depending on prevailing wind, water temps etc. Usually they are pretty small.

·
Registered
433 Posts
welcome aboard, had mahi out at 5 fathom bank about 12 miles off capemay last july!! depends on if that bluewater shows itself and the temp gets right!!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Go to the south. AC reef, Lobster hole, Tripple lumps even the 28 mi wreck. You can also get bluefin and YFT there too. If you go to Barnegat ridge you will get your a$$ kicked on the way home and the fishing there is not what it once was.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thankyou for all the advice i couldnt ask for more...its only my second year of doing this on my own and ill take as much as i can get...i am not far from ac/brigantine inlet at all so ill most likely try hitting them by the lobster pots when the weather and water temp is right:fighting:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
triple lumps and 28mile wreck are off cape mays shoreline right? i just ordered all my charts last night trying to get a game plan for the season...but now i know i wont be out of cape may just little egg inlet and ac....

·
Registered
453 Posts
this year im most likely putting my boat (22ft cc) in at viking and will be fishing out of little egg inlet...my goal this year having it be my 2nd year of offshore fishing is to put some mahi in the box this summer and maybe a bft ....should i just throw a few extra bucks into the season and put her down in cape may or do i have a good shot at mahi at the ridge this summer?:confused:
Not wanting to push you beyond your comfort zone but we would always take a 23 foot Hydro-sport further off-shore (up to 65 miles) on blue-bird days....and always tried to hook up with a buddy boat...I am not saying you have to do it to catch Mahi but it definitely increases your odds...Just remember that..... should you decide to venture further off-shore always make sure you have the proper gear including good electronics...and safety equipment....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the advice my boat is a lighter boat and doesn't handle that great offshore and beats you up fast thats why i dont like heading out to far just yet...running with another buddy boat is def the way to go no matter what situation thats mainly why i was originally going to put it in at cape may but now decided to stick closer to home...hopefully i can put a mahi in the box this summer on a good day and maybe head north for a blue fin when the weathers rite...

·
Registered
924 Posts
22 ft.your limits will keep you close to home and bft or mahi is easy to do when weather permits.you are barking up the right tree for findin spots deep water reef ,cigar,SI RIDGE ,28MILE WRECK.THERE IS ALOT OF STRUCTURE AND IT HOLDS FISH JUST NEED WATER TEMPS TO BE IN THE RIGHT RANGE .TO CLOSE TO SHORE THEY ARE SCARCE 10 MILES ,BUT 15 -30 NM THERE ARE PLENTY TO BE HAD.GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.

·
Registered
854 Posts
28 mile wreck is about 28 miles east out of TI. Make sure you get your permits if you haven't done so already. Spend the few bucks for the permit just in case you do get into some tuna out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts